Large Group Prospecting: A Resource And A Question

Bruce

Expert
First my question.... Do any of you use and find value in any of the Judy Diamond products?

Now a tool I've found useful.

The State of New York enacted the NY Health Care Reform Act (NYHCRA) about 10 years ago. For the purpose of this post, the details of NYHCRA are not pertinent EXCEPT that there is, in essence, a NY State tax on certain hospital/clinic patient care delivered.

Fully insured employers pay this tax through carrier retention reflected in fully insured rates.

Self-Funded groups, however, are required to pay this tax direct to the state. While these payments are generally made in "batch" by TPAs, the amounts are identifiable to each group.

Now the good part. Employers who are self-funded must make certain "elections" with respect to NYHCRA. This applies to every self-funded group, whether or not they are located in NY state. And these elections are public information. The election reporting, which is in Excel, includes:

Effective Date
Employer Name
City/State/Zip
Contact Name
Phone Number
Comments

Now it is not perfect, but it is very comprehensive. Generally, Eff Date corresponds to Renewal Date and Contact Name is generally a key HR individual.

I have had some good success using this tool and I thought I'd share.

I'm not able to post the link to the NYHCRA elector listing (I do not have the required 10 post minimum for posting links) but if you google on NYhealth(dot)gov (space) HCRA (space) Elector List, I think you will get there.

I apologize in advance for circumventing the link posting requirement.

Latest posts

Back