Leave Message or Not on Commercial P&C Cold Calls

Hi,

I've seen this question come up for other lines of insurance...but not specific to Commercial P&C.

I'm making about 75 to 100 calls per day for commercial P&C and for now health insurance while open enrollment is going.

I've been hanging up if I get an answering machine because my personal history is that I got VERY few call backs. To get in my 100 calls per day, I can move through my list a lot faster and still have time to service my clients if I don't leave messages.

Yet, I have a nagging sense that I am wasting that "dial" if I just hang up. What do you do? Do you leave messages or have you figured that the return on leaving a message is so low its better to cycle through your list and just call again later?

Thanks in advance!

Leave a GOOD message with your name and phone number. Let them know what you want them to do (which ought to be nothing) and then indicate that you'll call back regarding whatever it is.

Leaving a voicemail message is an opportunity to build up your own name recognition. If you offer different services, then each additional voice mail message should show how you can add value to them with what you do.

After a few messages left, then you can say: “I’ve left several voicemail messages with you, but guess you’re not in the market at this time. I don’t want to wear out my welcome, so I won’t be calling back for three or four months. But – if you’re interested in talking – please let me know." You just might get a call back at that point.

This idea came from: Amazon.com: Cold Calling for Cowards - How to Turn the Fear of Rejection into Opportunities, Sales, and Money eBook: Jerry Hocutt: Kindle Store

^ I like that idea a lot
I too struggled with this, what i ended up doing was setting up a calling program in which i'd call everyday for 7 days, leave a message day 1, 3, and 6, then usually day 10-12 i would call and leave a "final" message as described earlier.
As stated above, your name/company name is getting exposer, whos name do you think is going to pop into their head when they are shopping then? Bingo, your voicemails paid off.

That's a tough call, I always leave a message because you never know what will come of it. Sure, you may not get a call back, but at least you tried. If you don't leave a message, you are sure to not get a call back anyway.

On commercial accounts, B2B, I always leave a message. The key is the message you leave. I say the exact same thing that I say when I have them on the line live. In my view, when they listen to the message, then you are talking to them live. Your script should be direct and to the point of what you're calling about. If its compelling enough, you will get return calls or some response on some of them. That's been my experience anyway. I'll give you a perfect example, I called the CEO of dietz & watson and got his voicemail. About an hour after leaving the message I got a call from the CFO who said the owner forwarded my message and told him to return my call. We had a great conversation and I am continuing to prospect them today. I feel very confident I'll get a shot.

I believe in this method with follow ups too. The biggest account I ever wrote was a 1,000 life mfg and the HR director stopped returning my calls after the meeting. I was dumbfounded because we had an incredible meeting. Plus my initial call was to the CEO who pushed me to this Hr Dir. I assumed he was just not interested or blocking me and wouldn't tell me but I didn't care. So every two weeks I left another message. As I found items that might be of interest to him regarding hr issues, or carrier news, I faxed them over with a note... "saw this article and thought of you".

I did this for almost 10 months. Out of the blue, I got a call from this HR director. His almost exact words were... "Hi Scott, I got all your faxes and vm's and finally got approval to bring you in. Can you come in and help us?" Imagine getting that call on a 1,000 life group??? Turns out the Cfo was blocking the hr dir but he went over his head to the CEO who was determined to cut cost. I went in and picked up the BOR's on 3 locations and had to compete with the current broker on the NJ piece which I did and won the whole account. Turns out the cfo was in bed with the current broker which is why he was blocking the hr director. So, you never know why they aren't returning your calls but they are getting them.

Just one piece of advice... don't lie or be vague! Don't use those cheesy lines like... "i have something important to discuss, please call me at..." or "I was told to call you, please call me right away at ...".

Be honest and if your message is of value you will get return calls. Good luck!

I've left this message and have had call backs. "Hey, this is ------. Just give me a call back when you get a chance. My number is 555-5555."

They don't know why you're calling. You could be a potential client for them. Then if they do call back, you'll at least be able to explain your position to a person instead of a machine.

Hi,

I've seen this question come up for other lines of insurance...but not specific to Commercial P&C.

I'm making about 75 to 100 calls per day for commercial P&C and for now health insurance while open enrollment is going.

I've been hanging up if I get an answering machine because my personal history is that I got VERY few call backs. To get in my 100 calls per day, I can move through my list a lot faster and still have time to service my clients if I don't leave messages.

Yet, I have a nagging sense that I am wasting that "dial" if I just hang up. What do you do? Do you leave messages or have you figured that the return on leaving a message is so low its better to cycle through your list and just call again later?

Thanks in advance!

Here's my opinion and one that I follow. I leave a message. You mentioned that VERY FEW will call you back. My opinion is this. At least you know those few probably want to hear what you have to say and/or are interested in your product.

Back