Leaving an MA in OO season?

Ok, well don't listen to me. Call any other med supp company besides unicare and united world and see what answer they give you.

As to United worlds underwriting. Look at United American, they accepted up to 50 units of insulin, look where they are at. They are also targeting open enrollment. Sounds like a recipe for disaster if you ask me, which you didnt I know.

We must have different books then.

I didn't know there was more than one Medicare & You book (other than state specific ones that show the different MA & PDP plans for those states). Go to page 75 of the Medicare & You booklet. It's page 83 of the pdf, but the page number in the booklet is 75 in the upper right hand corner. It's in Section 9. Here's a link to the booklet, http://www.medicare.gov/publications/pubs/pdf/10050.pdf

Care to let us know what it says? It's pretty clear on what the rights are for those that have left a Medigap policy for a Medicare Advantage plan and wish to return back to a Medigap policy.

Well, maybe you just don't interpret things very well. It says you "may" have special medigap protections that give you a right to get your old medigap policy back or buy a new one if you choose to leave the MA plan in the 1st year.

Ok, so now if you read the Buying a medigap Guide on page 19 it will tell you what the actual rules are. I rest my case. Like I said in the other posts, try to write a GI med supp with another company besides united world or unicare.

In the future, why don't you get the facts before stand behind something so strong. I guess it is just another reason why you should always look things up for yourself. Well, maybe you shouldnt:D

Also, in that statement it doesn't say anything about it being gauranteed issue. It just says you may have the option.

Listen guru, I stated what I can do here in Georgia. If I'm not mistaken, you were the one who posted a while back going back and forth on this issue. The word "may" can be interpreted different ways. And for Georgia, it means you can get one. Thanks for playing.

You still do not get it. Its not a state thing, its a company thing. SOme people will never learn I guess. Yeah I was back and forth because of people like you.

It is NOT a company thing and I'll explain below. But I beg to differ with you on the state issue. And maybe I'm blurring some lines here, but why else would the Medicare & You book state "Check with your State Health Insurance Assistance Program to see if your state offers other rights to buy Medigap policies". This is in the same paragraph I've been discussing previously (page 75 of the Medicare & You book). There are some states, such as California and Missouri, that have much different rules than we do here in Georgia, and I'm sure in Indiana as well. These rules may or may not be specific to leaving a Med Supp for a MA and back to a Med Supp, but there are definitely different rules in some states.

Now, about the carrier issue, I talked with Stuart (an underwriter at United World) and he states that it is a Federal law that ALL companies offering plans A, B, C, F, K or L must accept the people meeting the guidelines of leaving a Med Supp for a MA for the first time and going back to a Med Supp in the first 12 months. Even the Medicare Guide you've been quoting states this to be true for ALL carriers. The question really becomes whether or not you have to show any proof that your previous Med Supp carrier still offers your plan. None of the carriers I've dealt with have asked that question. They've just accepted the person. That is why I state that you can go to any carrier.

Stuart went on to say that any carrier that offers these plans listed above that doesn't abide by these rules should be turned in. So, since you apparently have talked with all the carriers in your state and all but two are offering coverage in this situation, I'd say you've got some work to do in turning them in to the state DOI. Because Federal law says they must accept the person when they have met the guidelines.

And if it makes you feel better to blame me, or people like me, for your confusion, then so be it. You go on about your business and I'll go on about mine. I've got nothing more to say on this topic.

LOL. So you call the company that is accepting them for your information. Why don't you call a different med supp company if you are contracted with any others. Anyone that is listening to SMAN, please call your carrier first before you get stuck with a client that thought they had the GI option.

It is NOT a company thing and I'll explain below. But I beg to differ with you on the state issue. And maybe I'm blurring some lines here, but why else would the Medicare & You book state "Check with your State Health Insurance Assistance Program to see if your state offers other rights to buy Medigap policies". This is in the same paragraph I've been discussing previously (page 75 of the Medicare & You book). There are some states, such as California and Missouri, that have much different rules than we do here in Georgia, and I'm sure in Indiana as well. These rules may or may not be specific to leaving a Med Supp for a MA and back to a Med Supp, but there are definitely different rules in some states.

Now, about the carrier issue, I talked with Stuart (an underwriter at United World) and he states that it is a Federal law that ALL companies offering plans A, B, C, F, K or L must accept the people meeting the guidelines of leaving a Med Supp for a MA for the first time and going back to a Med Supp in the first 12 months. Even the Medicare Guide you've been quoting states this to be true for ALL carriers. The question really becomes whether or not you have to show any proof that your previous Med Supp carrier still offers your plan. None of the carriers I've dealt with have asked that question. They've just accepted the person. That is why I state that you can go to any carrier.

Stuart went on to say that any carrier that offers these plans listed above that doesn't abide by these rules should be turned in. So, since you apparently have talked with all the carriers in your state and all but two are offering coverage in this situation, I'd say you've got some work to do in turning them in to the state DOI. Because Federal law says they must accept the person when they have met the guidelines.

And if it makes you feel better to blame me, or people like me, for your confusion, then so be it. You go on about your business and I'll go on about mine. I've got nothing more to say on this topic.

I do know that some carriers strongly discourage their agents from seeking GI business (like those whose HMO isn't being offered next year) since they cannot medically underwrite it. But I think what sman has posted here is correct, the company has to accept them if they apply.

Back