Leaving Current Position

GIRLINBIZ

Expert
I am leaving my current position for a captive agency. I like the captive lifestyle, even though I know a lot of people on here don't. Can anyone make any suggestions of where to go from here?

What companies should I apply to?

I work in Life, Health, medsup, annuities, long term care

I am leaving my current position for a captive agency. I like the captive lifestyle, even though I know a lot of people on here don't. Can anyone make any suggestions of where to go from here?

What companies should I apply to?

I work in Life, Health, medsup, annuities, long term care

If I were in your position with your good experience, I would go to the big companies that can provide benefits and a good base salary plus commissions. I would go to ING and other big companies to see what they are willing to pay.

Best of success to you.

If I were in your position with your good experience, I would go to the big companies that can provide benefits and a good base salary plus commissions. I would go to ING and other big companies to see what they are willing to pay.

Best of success to you.

That really doesn't sound like great advice. Anyone who is in sales and is worth a damn would not even remotely consider a position where they get a "salary plus commissions".

Those jobs are for newbys and lazy salespeople who don't want to work.

The "real money" to be made in sales is 100% straight commission. That is selling 101. (I almost said selling for dummies but didn't want to piss anyone off.)

If you like the captive life then why not stay there? I was captive for a long time and loved it. I was literally treated like a king. Picked up at airports in a limo, given the best rooms at hotels and on cruises and traveled to a multitude of places in other countries.

If it hadn't been for three consecutive years of 35% premium increases I would still be captive. The underwriters just didn't know what they were doing.

That really doesn't sound like great advice. Anyone who is in sales and is worth a damn would not even remotely consider a position where they get a "salary plus commissions".

Those jobs are for newbys and lazy salespeople who don't want to work.

The "real money" to be made in sales is 100% straight commission. That is selling 101. (I almost said selling for dummies but didn't want to piss anyone off.)

If you like the captive life then why not stay there? I was captive for a long time and loved it. I was literally treated like a king. Picked up at airports in a limo, given the best rooms at hotels and on cruises and traveled to a multitude of places in other countries.

If it hadn't been for three consecutive years of 35% premium increases I would still be captive. The underwriters just didn't know what they were doing.

And, I believe your advice is misinformed and also not so great. First, she said that she wanted to go captive. I believed her and respected that. Secondly, I know many friends who jumped ship from AIG straight into ING for extremely good positions. This is personal experience. So, also in disagreement, not ALL captive jobs are for newbies and not all captive jobs are not lucrative.

Thanks

Last edited:
.....If it hadn't been for three consecutive years of 35% premium increases I would still be captive. The underwriters just didn't know what they were doing.

Frank, you probably mentioned it somewhere but who were you captive with?

And, I believe your advice is misinformed and also not so great. First, she said that she wanted to go captive. I believed her and respected that. Secondly, I know many friends who jumped ship from AIG straight into ING for extremely good positions. This is personal experience. So, also in disagreement, not ALL captive jobs are for newbies and not all captive jobs are not lucrative.

Thanks

You need to read more carefully. I NEVER said that "captive jobs were fot "newbies" or that "captive jobs" were not lucrative.

What I said was jobs "where they (the agent) gets a "salary plus commissions" is not the kind of job that will earn a good salesperson a lot of money.

Before you attempt to bust my ass, respond to the comment I made, not would you think I said.

I made a ton of money when I was captive and absolutely loved it. As I said, they treated me like a king. I was in the top 21 of all the agents in the company, over 37,000.

If you had taken the time to read what I really said you would have seen that I was addressing selling jobs where the salesperson was on a salary plus. I would never take a selling job that was not straight commission.

Again, if you will pay attention and read what is posted, she said "I am leaving my current position for a captive agency". And, she said "where to go from here"?

She didn't say a thing about wanting to go with another captive agency. She wanted suggestions. She DID NOT SAY SHE WANTED TO GO CAPTIVE. What part of that didn't you understand from her post?????????????????????

It's better to let people think you don't know what you are talking about then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Last edited:
She didn't say a thing about wanting to go with another captive agency. She wanted suggestions. She DID NOT SAY SHE WANTED TO GO CAPTIVE. What part of that didn't you understand from her post?????????????????????

It's better to let people think you don't know what you are talking about then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Uh, guys, chill out, she actually said she is leaving her current position to go to a captive agency.

"I am leaving my current position for a captive agency. I like the captive lifestyle, even though I know a lot of people on here don't. Can anyone make any suggestions of where to go from here?"

She actually is saying she wants to go captive, and looking for advice on a captive agency. At least that is how I read it. Relax, have a cold one.

Frank, you probably mentioned it somewhere but who were you captive with?

I was captive with United American from 1993 to 1999. This was during a time when they were one of the premier companies offering Medicare Supplements. That was the emphasis of their focus and they did one hell of a job at it.

During most of that time they were the only company in Missouri that was issue age and the only one that had automatic claims filing when no other company except BC&BS offered that.

I could blow just about any company out of the water that was offering Med Supps. I use to love to roll Bankers policies, they were the worst of any of them in Missouri.

Those were truly "golden years". When they priced themselves out of the Med Supp market because their actuaries royally screwed up that is when I left.

Andy King was president at the time. He and I became good friends and I had the ride of my life. I have never been treated so well by a company as I was by them.

I really miss those days. I will never say anything negative about United American. I know they have gone in a totally different direction and I feel bad about that.

Unfortunately today they are not the United American that I knew and loved. That makes me sad.

I think Andy is still the president, but maybe pres of the whole shebang- torchmark maybe? Anywho, I enjoy the captive lifestyle myself, but only because I need structure.

Uh, guys, chill out, she actually said she is leaving her current position to go to a captive agency.

"I am leaving my current position for a captive agency. I like the captive lifestyle, even though I know a lot of people on here don't. Can anyone make any suggestions of where to go from here?"

She actually is saying she wants to go captive, and looking for advice on a captive agency. At least that is how I read it. Relax, have a cold one.

Thanks, I guess I should take my own advice. Damn, I had so much fun typing that too. hahaha

Back