License?

Just found out today that my state allows temp. license for captive companies only. Therefore, I will have to speed up process and pass this test so I can start producing. Too bad state don't allow this law for non-captive agents.

Thanks Insurance Pros

I still don't get it, what does the temp license allow you to do? Can you write business?

Is the temp license issued only after the test? If so, why not just issue the real license?

What am I missing?

To be honest, I guess I don't care. I can write my business regardless of the person next to me's license, temp or permanent. I'm just curious what the motivation is.

Dan

Anyone know if there is a temp license in California? As far as I know in California it is a relatively quick process to get a license. I think you can do whole process online now, including test.

Most temporary license deals with spouses or other bene's of the original writing agent, so they can inherit the business or hold it till they can achieve a license. Or if you are a part of a group dealing with group insurance for the business only, as in "Not For Hire". I seriously doubt there is a State that doesn't have a temp license provisions for the reasons Bubba posted. Plus you should of lean these provisions while going thru training? So obviously many license agents were not paying attention in training!

I promise you, they didn't mention temporary licenses in any training I did. It only takes 2 weeks to get a regular license, that's why I'm amazed there is a temp thing. (week in class, a week to learn and take the test)

If I understand correctly, a temp license allows you to work for a licensed agent, but not independently. California doesn't call that a temp license, they have a different name for it, but the requirements are almost exactly the same as a regular license. A few less class hours upfront, that's about it. Also, I think you can only do this in P&C, since you normally get licensed as a broker, but with health, you get licensed as an agent.

I take it a temp license does not allow you to solicit business, just maintain existing business????

Dan

I promise you, they didn't mention temporary licenses in any training I did. It only takes 2 weeks to get a regular license, that's why I'm amazed there is a temp thing. (week in class, a week to learn and take the test)

If I understand correctly, a temp license allows you to work for a licensed agent, but not independently. California doesn't call that a temp license, they have a different name for it, but the requirements are almost exactly the same as a regular license. A few less class hours upfront, that's about it. Also, I think you can only do this in P&C, since you normally get licensed as a broker, but with health, you get licensed as an agent.

I take it a temp license does not allow you to solicit business, just maintain existing business????

Dan

No,

I just verified and called my state that I can solicit business under a captive company with a temp. license for a newbie till I pass my exam for permanent license!! I never heard in state of Cali. that one can take exam over the internet or online, very interesting.

Dan

Same here, 1 whole week! Yet, I remember the instructor talking about this for about 5 minutes, basically around what happens if we die or become seriously disable our spouses or bene's can apply for a temp license for six months so they can either get a regular license or sell the book if applicable. Go back and look in manuals, all the manuals I've seen have a chapter or a few pages dedicated to it, I'm sure most States are similiar in this. Could be wrong I guess?:)

Just wondering if It's possible to receive a temporary L&H license with a non-captive agent till I receive my permanent license? I'm thinking maybe temp. license is only for captive agents.

You can work with a temporary license for a non captive agency. Do you even have your temporary license?

Back