Licensing question

JB82

I stopped selling life insurance in 2021 and my license lapsed I took my continuing education course and re activated my resident states license this month. I was licensed in 9 other states, so how does it work to get those active again does my continued education that I did for my state credits roll over into those none resident states as well? And am I gonna have to pay for all those states again? I know some were very expensive.

I stopped selling life insurance in 2021 and my license lapsed I took my continuing education course and re activated my resident states license this month. I was licensed in 9 other states, so how does it work to get those active again does my continued education that I did for my state credits roll over into those none resident states as well? And am I gonna have to pay for all those states again? I know some were very expensive.
Yes and Yes :yes:

Non-resident states don't track your CE. Only your resident state does.

One exception: California. If you want to sell annuities or LTC in California, you have to complete the CA specific annuity and LTC CE requirements. Probably ethics as well as the new Anti-Fraud Ethics CE too.

I don't know of any other state with such specific state requirements that California requires, including New York.

I stopped selling life insurance in 2021 and my license lapsed I took my continuing education course and re activated my resident states license this month. I was licensed in 9 other states, so how does it work to get those active again does my continued education that I did for my state credits roll over into those none resident states as well? And am I gonna have to pay for all those states again? I know some were very exp

State by state, when you go to activate those licenses again, you will see if you have to renew or re-apply. Each state will check with your home state to make sure your license is active (as it can only be active if you've met the CE requirements). Non-resident states typically do not have nor require CE requirements. There are a few exceptions for LTC, annuities, etc. Whether renewal or re-apply, yes, you will have to pay for all of them again.

I am licensed in most states. I get licensed when a client moves into a state where I wasn't previously licensed, in the event the insurance company won't allow me to continue to be the BOR/servicing agent of record, and also because I may do additional business with that client. I don't remember any state that had their own CE requirements where they didn't reciprocate and honor my resident/home state CE requirements. Once I meet the CE requirements of my resident/home state, I am fine.

Yes, certain annuity carriers may require something like an additional course or the like (state specific regulation(s)), and certain life carriers may have an additional requirement as well (AML for example). I really don't remember the specifics. Licensing and CE are simply part of being in the business and doing business. My assistant takes care of all this for me and my partner. We use NIPR or Xiron. I don't remember which. We get warnings, renewal notices, etc., and she just renews for us. All the best!

Back