Looking For Tips To be A Top Producer!

Here's an article i wrote some time ago. I've attached the sample doorknob hanger.

Doorknob Marketing

Author: Bill Wilson

According to a recent study, about 67% of apartment dwellers and house renters do not have an HO-4 (renters insurance) policy. What does this mean to you? Given the number of renters in the U.S., this is a vast untapped market. Admittedly, the commissions aren't great, but what better place to start a newly licensed producer or a CSR. In addition, if you explain it convincingly, it could be an opportunity to sell additional coverages even homeowners are reticent to buy, along with commercial lines now or in the future.

Our "Ask an Expert" service got an inquiry some time ago that asked, "I was wondering if there were any specific marketing techniques that other insurance agents have used that could help a young agent (less than one year in the business) get more of a grip or hold in the market. Is there a tried and true method utilized to get a young agent's name more readily recognized in a saturated market?" The following article includes responses from our faculty to this inquiry:

One of the responses involved what I'll refer to as "Doorknob Marketing" which involves identifying a market that is not saturated and initiating a one-on-one marketing campaign. One such market is apartment dwellers. According to a Trusted Choice® study, almost 70% of renters have no homeowners insurance. (It's not beyond the realm of possibility that many of the 30% that said they do have coverage only think they do or, out of embarrassment, were unwilling to admit they lacked coverage.)

When asked why they have no insurance, the most common responses are typically that renters think the landlord would be responsible for damage to their property, they think the coverage is too expensive, or they don't understand the need for it. More likely than not, most renters don't even realize that "renters insurance" (or as we know it, an HO-4) includes liability coverage, nor are they aware of why this policy feature is so important...perhaps even more so than the direct property coverage.

According to the National Multi Housing Council (www.nmhc.org), almost a third of all households occupy rentals. Given that about two-thirds of all renters are uninsured, this means that perhaps one-fifth of all U.S. households have no personal property and liability insurance (for more demographics, click here). That is a HUGE untapped market. For example, according to NMHC, there are over 358,000 rental units in Dallas, Texas. If two-thirds of them are uninsured, that's a potential of about 240,000 renter policies without considering vacancy rates.

One way to tap into this market efficiently is by using a doorknob hanger with a short message and offer to quote. Click here for a sample that I threw together:

No doubt you, your carriers, or a professional marketer can come up with something much better. If so and you're willing to share, please email examples to [email protected] and we'll post them here.

Another efficient means to market is to contact the apartment manager and offer to put on a free 30-45 minute presentation on renters and auto insurance. Be sure to stress the importance of liability coverage with vivid examples such as the renter whose unattended charcoal grill burned down a $600,000 apartment building and destroyed the contents of 15 other tenants. This format will also allow you to provide more substantive handout materials.

In doing so, stress the value of an umbrella policy to a renter, which may be greater than its value to the owner of a single-family dwelling. Point out HO policy options of interest to renters...e.g., a personal injury coverage endorsement (typically very inexpensive) would extend coverage for claims like invasion of privacy, slander, and wrongful entry. For some technical considerations, check out this article:

The good thing about this market from the producer''s standpoint is that there is ZERO competition for a renter's account (unless the consumer seeks a quote from his or her auto insurer...so be sure when you quote the HO-4 that you offer to quote the auto for a package discount). Admittedly, the commissions on this type of business are not great. However, most renters have autos and present the opportunity to quote on their entire package. In addition, many renters become homeowners and business owners. Too, getting a foothold with a significant number of renters in an apartment complex might lead to inroads for an agency commercial lines producer to quote the commercial account.

More information:

Attachments

• DoorknobMarketingSample.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 0
Great information Bill! ^^. When I started in agency, apartments became a main source for new business. I would custom make displays for the larger complexes that included flyers, business cards, tear off numbers. Most had a community bulletin board to use, or provide a 'new tenant package', or even the laundry room - anywhere the complex would allow the information. I had a 'route' of 10 or so large complex's and I would check in once a month, chat with the rental managers and restock. Great referral sources, and never go see them empty handed. Even the complexes that sold their own coverage would eventually refer me business. Consistency paid off.

There is no one secret to getting leads in this business, use a bunch and make it a habit.

Good Luck, and Good Selling!

Dave

Dave, great info. Thanks. I had a licensing school grad who did this, starting with his version of my Doorknob Marketing graphic. He ended up writing renters coverage AND auto, and happy customers told their neighbors about him. He went on to move into commercial lines focusing on, guess what, apartment complexes and condo associations.

I'm not in P&C, but I would use the word "compete" in every approach. You want to see how well you can compete for their business. P&C is very much seen as a commodity, but individual agents are not. Don't call people "to see if I can save you some money". That's weak. Call on people because you want to compete for their business. That's strong.

And don't just compete on price. Compete on service. First, before you can offer a quote, or even before you begin an audit of their current coverage (and any weak points)... take about 1 minute to introduce yourself, who you are, what you do, how you do it... and that if they find your service helpful, that if they think of others that they know, like, and trust who would also benefit, that you can discuss that when you come back with your recommendations. (Plant the seed for referrals, then don't talk about it anymore.) Ask them if they have any questions on their current coverage - and if there's anything they'd like to see different. If there are any (I'm sure there will be), be sure to point out the weak areas and how they could be a problem.

When you come back to present, show two quotes: One for "like for like" coverage exactly as they have it, then one for optimal coverage that will protect more of their assets, plug the holes, etc. Even if they don't buy, if they appreciate the work you've done and the quality of advice and attention to their coverage, simply ask them if they thought of anyone through your process that could benefit from the kind of work you've done together. If so, great. Arrange for introductions. If not, no problem. You simply followed up on your previous request.

As you grow your effectiveness in your approach, that will bring more value to any other work you do.

If you want some great training on referrals, I'd get Sandy Schussel's training for only $37 or his online webinar series for $149.

Products

Totally agree with the never call folks and tell them you want to save them money. You sound like a telemarketer, not a professional. You need to act like a business owner trying to close the doors to other businesses doing what you do. (No, you won't close these businesses down, but at like you are)
Be that agent who solves problems, not provide schlocky scripted lines. Listen and respond like a human with the education and knowledge to give nuggets of info to those prospects.

I believe in an earlier post I mentioned my comp plan. I have found out today we are paid on new business only. However, should I chose to go 1099 I would be paid 8% on new business and 3% on renewals.

Thoughts?

Thats what i was thinking. However, he said the renewls would not be back dated for the 2 months he has given me salary. It would start the day I decide to go 1099. Also, if this month we do not hit our goal, no job.

Latest posts

Back