Looking to change from FE to something else...

Ksutton

Guru
100+ Post Club
USA
Hello everyone,

To save everyone’s time I’ll make this brief and to the point. I sold Final Expense as an independent agent for about 3 years. I was very successful but I quickly became burnt out. I took some time away from insurance altogether, (about 1.5 years). I’m considering getting back into insurance and was wondering if someone can relate to my experience and also give me some guidance to another route I can take.

Thanks,

Ken

What about selling FE burnt you out?

The types of clients?
The sales process?
The sell and move on philospy?
etc?

eventually everything - the time spent to make sales and having it nsf / cancel after writing them up a day prior.

it started to become “get in and out as fast as possible and move onto the next”.

honestly I started to get so bored doing the same thing over and over - especially the 200-300 miles per day driving. I remember writing $2300 AP in a house and just being miserable thinking “this is either a chargeback waiting to happen or a good sale, if they get approved” this is when I was mainly writing Transamerica. ... I’m now familiar with some of the instant approval companies.

I had no idea who was actually going to keep their policy and who was not. It all just became wearing.

Although I didn’t have too many, but when a contestable claim wouldn’t pay that would really hurt.

Also, I had a bad experience with a mentor. I don’t want to get too into that but lies and deceit. I think that really threw my
mentaliry off and it’s taken me a while to recover from it.

it started to become “get in and out as fast as possible and move onto the next”.

This makes for fast sales, but often leaves client with that strange feeling of, "Who was that masked man." Too fast to build need and trust leaves business flipping in the wind.

I was mainly writing Transamerica

Agent killer... they are just plain bad at agent and customer service.

Also, I had a bad experience with a mentor. I don’t want to get too into that but lies and deceit. I think that really threw my
mentaliry off and it’s taken me a while to recover from it.

Ouch! That can hurt and make you gun shy for a long time. Sorry that happened. Had something like that in my own career.

I was very successful

Why change horses? If this is true that you were successful, then why refit what your good at already?

Couple of key points to think about:
  1. You know the ropes, and you said yourself, "I was very successful"
  2. You may be looking at this emotionally and not logically.
  3. Boredom and burnout (IMHO) is due to NOT building relationships with people, like your clients. "In and out" seems to me more like a job as opposed to a profession. When you get to delve into your client's lives and hear their stories, it should help impower your effort and bring substance to what you do. Learn to enjoy the ride, it makes it fun which helps out when you want to beat your head against the door frame of frustration. (Trust me, done that and will be doing it again soon.)
  4. Salespeople are often the easiest to sell. There are people who can help, there are people who have been and are successful that you need to listen to... that said, no one in this business is to be worshiped. No one knows it all, (even if they think they do). And if they lie to you once, they will lie to you again. Choose carefully how close you get to someone.
Your thoughts... I just want to encourage you not to give up, but to readjust.

Check up from the neck up. :yes:

This makes for fast sales, but often leaves client with that strange feeling of, "Who was that masked man." Too fast to build need and trust leaves business flipping in the wind.

Agent killer... they are just plain bad at agent and customer service.

Ouch! That can hurt and make you gun shy for a long time. Sorry that happened. Had something like that in my own career.

Why change horses? If this is true that you were successful, then why refit what your good at already?

Couple of key points to think about:
  1. You know the ropes, and you said yourself, "I was very successful"
  2. You may be looking at this emotionally and not logically.
  3. Boredom and burnout (IMHO) is due to NOT building relationships with people, like your clients. "In and out" seems to me more like a job as opposed to a profession. When you get to delve into your client's lives and hear their stories, it should help impower your effort and bring substance to what you do. Learn to enjoy the ride, it makes it fun which helps out when you want to beat your head against the door frame of frustration. (Trust me, done that and will be doing it again soon.)
  4. Salespeople are often the easiest to sell. There are people who can help, there are people who have been and are successful that you need to listen to... that said, no one in this business is to be worshiped. No one knows it all, (even if they think they do). And if they lie to you once, they will lie to you again. Choose carefully how close you get to someone.
Your thoughts... I just want to encourage you not to give up, but to readjust.

Check up from the neck up. :yes:
I appreciate this. Thank you.

Get into commercial. I know some board members for a large life carrier and life is struggling and will be for a while according to them. Provided you are not writing restaurants etc... commercial is firing on all cylinders. I am sure you can still make a lot of money in Life but its not something that's exactly booming at least from what I am hearing.

Get into commercial. I know some board members for a large life carrier and life is struggling and will be for a while according to them. Provided you are not writing restaurants etc... commercial is firing on all cylinders. I am sure you can still make a lot of money in Life but its not something that's exactly booming at least from what I am hearing.
The only bright spot in life is final expense.. It is growing but that is not he wants to do. Ancillary health is a good market to work and is still doing well as far as I know.

I think KSutton felt the sting of fe chargebacks . I’ve seen so many guys that do $200 k of premium that are broke as they don’t allocate for the certain chargebacks in this business .

Back