MA enrollment

Independent agents can do seminars too. Get with a hospital. They are always looking for someone to put on a seminar and they furnish the room and etc. They will even put it in their monthly news letter. Around my area, they are begging for someone to come and share the information. You are right though, come October 1, you won't be able to turn the channel without seeing something about MA's. Just remember last one wins...until January, then only one change and they are locked in.....

The problem with working the MA market is that you are going up against captive agents.

Why that is a problem is that the carriers are doing all they can for their captive sales force. They are doing mailers, telemarketing, setting up seminars, hosting events, etc for their own.

Granted, this applies more in the metro markets. The rural communities use a broker force, but I am going with what I know since I serve a metro area.

I can tell you what some of the carriers are doing now with their captive agents is going through past leads and contacts to make a target list this up coming AEP.

During the OEP if not AEP the companies with captive sales forces will also contact every PDP member they have regardless of who wrote the business, and attempt to set an appointment for the captives to write an MA or MAPD. This means everyone needs to stay in contact with their supp clients, which of course is what you should be doing anyway.

Last edited:
Independent agents can do seminars too. Get with a hospital. They are always looking for someone to put on a seminar and they furnish the room and etc. They will even put it in their monthly news letter. Around my area, they are begging for someone to come and share the information. You are right though, come October 1, you won't be able to turn the channel without seeing something about MA's. Just remember last one wins...until January, then only one change and they are locked in.....

That is true that there are many opportunities to have group meetings/seminars at different places. The difference is that most independents don't have the $$ to spend up to $15 for everyone who shows up to have lunch, which is the main focus of the captive companies. They also don't have the cash to do the massive mailouts and TV advertising that some of the companies do.

Back