MA SEP Question

vic120

Guru
5000 Post Club
OH
I have a prospect Who retired as of Dec 1st, However, he went down to SS last week and says he got approved for 06/01 effective on part B Medicare

What SEP can I use to enroll on Aetna MAPD? Cant be loss of Group Can I use

Could I use ICEP or ICEP 2, I can't remember now though I have done a few in the past with general election period Just don't remember the SEP used

I'm assuming he already had Part A? If Part B does indeed start 6/1, his ICEP for MA/MAPD enrollment ends 5/31. There's no such thing as ICEP2; that would be IEP2 for those with Medicare before age 65 then they get the IEP2 upon age 65.

Also, if General Enrollment came into play, his Part B would start 7/1, not 6/1.

No its no GE Just comes to mind as it is where part B effective is not at the same time as retirement, That is what is similar But it is not GE

He retired in Dec but never signed up for part B till now he has a 06/01 effective but his group ended Dec 1st

Assuming your client isn't in the IEP window, three months before their birthday, the month of their birth month and three months after it for a total of 7 months. (for those that could use a refresher :D), then if he enrolls before his 06/01 effective date. You would use the ICEP enrollment. His coverage would start the same day of his Part B effective date.

However, if that's not the case and he plans to enroll after his effective date, then you'll have to use a SEP, which I believe you'll have a hard time doing since he's passed the 63 calendar days. Other than that AEP I believe is the only other choice or a Medigap plan.

Last edited:
Assuming your client isn't in the IEP window, three months before their birthday and three months after it (for those that could use a refresher :D)
I don't do MA, so I'm not an expert...but isn't it 3 months before the birth month(unless birthday on the 1st of the month), the birth month and 3 months after the birth month for a total of 7 months.

I think that's the way you meant it, but the way you wrote it might be misinterperated by a newbie.

I don't do MA, so I'm not an expert...but isn't it 3 months before the birth month(unless birthday on the 1st of the month), the birth month and 3 months after the birth month for a total of 7 months.

I think that's the way you meant it, but the way you wrote it might be misinterperated by a newbie.

You're absolutely right! Corrected! LOL

Back