Mac Book Air Vs Surface Pro 3

Macs are great for designing and development, but when it comes to handling business matters I prefer the Surface. I have the Surface RT and it came with Microsoft Office so I can do my Power Point presentations on it.

I have a MacBook Air and was trying to make that same decision last week if it makes sense to switch to the Surface Pro 3. In my opinion, Macs are far superior in general, but it all depends on what you need...

Benefit of Macs: They just run faster and typically have better long term usability. You can also install a program called Parallels that allows you to install Windows on a Mac. It's seamless and feels like you get the best of both worlds. Surprising Windows runs better on a Mac.

Benefits of Surface Pro: Touchscreen....in my opinion that is the only thing better, but if you do a lot of electronic apps...it may be for you....you can do the same thing with an Ipad though.

In the end....I think you will be happy either way.

I have a MacBook Air and was trying to make that same decision last week if it makes sense to switch to the Surface Pro 3. In my opinion, Macs are far superior in general, but it all depends on what you need...

Benefit of Macs: They just run faster and typically have better long term usability. You can also install a program called Parallels that allows you to install Windows on a Mac. It's seamless and feels like you get the best of both worlds. Surprising Windows runs better on a Mac.

Benefits of Surface Pro: Touchscreen....in my opinion that is the only thing better, but if you do a lot of electronic apps...it may be for you....you can do the same thing with an Ipad though.

In the end....I think you will be happy either way.

What is the price difference of a Mac book Air, large IPad, keyboard, Parallals for both and Windows for both vs a Surface?

Kinda off topic but I thought someone here might be interested - If anyone wants to buy a current generation macbook air in great condition (I still have the box and everything) 13" model I'm selling mine. $800 and I live in Central VA.

I like it a hell of a lot more than my PC but I can't do any business with it as everyone I'm appointed with requires windows and I don't see the point in keeping both.

PM me if you're interested as no one on craigslist has made a serious offer. I'd prefer to sell to someone local because I'm paranoid about internet scams like that but if we can verify each other are real people I might change my mind.

And because people have already asked: No, I won't take your broken down civic, your chainsaw, $400, a palate of sports jerseys, or even your highest and final offer of $450. I also don't care that you're a "balla on a budget"

Last edited:
What is the price difference of a Mac book Air, large IPad, keyboard, Parallals for both and Windows for both vs a Surface?

I already had a Mac book but they run somewhere around $900, Parallels runs about $50-$75, if you don't have windows that's going to run another $100 I think. You can get an iPad mini for $200...

The surface Pro three ranges from $800-$1400 I think...and you'll have to spend $150 on the keyboard

The nice thing about the Mac is you can run Windows and Mac's operating software simultaneously so it really feels like you have two computers In one.

I've been wondering the same thing. Which of these two do I recommend for this company to move forward with? Price and touch screen seem to be the main advantages with the surface.

I know this sounds odd but...
This reminds me of the point that Simon Sinek talks about in 'Start with Why' in your business.
"People don't buy what you do but WHY you do it"
Check out this TED Talk
http://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action
Amazing talk.

Seems to me that those that are looking for a powerful well made laptop, a touch screen is pointless and price is not the top concern.

Back