Mac Vs Windows Showdown

I have found that some of the insurance carriers illustration software won't run on Mac. I have the 27 inch Imac on one side of my desk and then a Sony Laptop on the other to get the best of both worlds.

I don't know of any life carriers that produce illustration software for the Mac platform... I've looked, and asked, and don't think there is even ONE.

But... fewer and fewer life companies create desktop software anymore since most (that I know of) use the GA distribution model. (For quotes on perm ins. that is not going to Ohio National I call a GA... since I'm going to put the biz through them, let the earn their override. Sometimes I'm too busy to run quotes/illustrations even for Ohio... so I have then do it for me... they are happy to help.)

I know that Ohio National, Midland, and (I think) John Hancock still create agent software but I'm told by Ohio and Midland (both of whom I like) that they are going to a web-based model as soon as they can (which might be 10 years for all I know!!) Assurity has some of their product illustration systems up on the web.

Some carriers work with WinFlex which has a web model, but it (used to) require IE... and it was a PITA to get registered with WinFlex as they had to get permission from the carrier to give you access. I've not used WF for several years so others might be in a better position to comment.

If you do a huge amount of business such that you need M$ based software, it probably makes more sense to run your empire on the M$ platform. My guess is that P&C is all Windows based.

However, if like me, you use rely on GAs to do your quoting and illustrations for (I)UL and WL and LTC and DI, etc., and you only write for one or two companies who have M$-only desktop programs, you might look at using Parallels or VWware with a copy of Windows. This lets you run Windows along side of the Mac... it's just another "window" on the Mac... as you see below.

parallels-desktop.jpg

I usually keep it running all the time as there are some websites (like AARP-Aetna) that require IE, as well as Ohio Nat., which I write when I can. If you have 4GB of RAM (standard with Mac these days, there is no slowdown or degradation. (I have 8 GB of RAM because I thought it would take that much... it doesn't... but more RAM is always better than less RAM!)

As for Parallels vs. VMWare... it is kind of a toss-up... this article will tell you about both... and VirtualBox (free.) I use Parallels with an ancient copy of Windows XP... which runs all of the proprietary software I use. The install of Windows in one of these virtualization systems is really easy... but can take an hour because Windows is a pig! Once you have it installed, give yourself another couple of hours for it to download the zillions of service packs and updates, etc.

Oh... important... IF you run Windows YOU SHOULD HAVE anti-malware installed for it (not for the Mac... but for Windows.) If you get a virus it will only affect Windows. I use the free AVG system and never had a problem.

WinXP boots quicker and runs faster on my iMAC than on my Toshiba laptop! I don't know why.

Another possibility is to run the Codeweaver Crossover/Mac. This is a "true" Windows emulator... meaning you don't need a copy of Windows. That's the upside. The downside is that a lot of stuff won't run under Crossover... however my bet is that most insurance programs will. I don't know if it comes with IE but you can install it. All I can say without having tried this for several years is that with Codeweaver... YMMV. If any of you have the time, why not download the demo and let us know how it goes. (They also have a version for Linux.)

Finally, with the Mac there is an alternative to using a virtualization program... you can use the free Apple Bootcamp which comes with iMacs (I think.) This lets you install Windows directly on the Mac without virtualization middleware (i.e VMWare etc.) however you have to boot (restart) into it when you want to use it. With virtualization, you run Windows right along with the Mac... it's just another "window" as I said earlier. From what I understand, running virtual is way more popular than the boot camp method... but with boot camp you save the price of the virtual software (about $70 as I remember.)

Hope this helps.

Before you flame me (as is so normal on this board) try to remember that I don't give a %$#@ what system you use. What I use (Macs) work for me and my small biz... and what you use should work for you in your empire. I have no dog in this fight... and believe it or not there is no liberal/conservative "division" here... both use all three computing platforms... Win, Linux, Mac. For those who want to fight and insult, please take it to the Fight Club section or the non-insurance section.

Al
I am here.

I don't know of any life carriers that produce illustration software for the Mac platform... I've looked, and asked, and don't think there is even ONE.

The above deserves to be highlighted.

If you sell life insurance, you need a Windows computer.

For those who prefer a Mac, I would recommend a used IBM Lenovo laptop. The darn things are bullet proof, and there are so many good used one's for sale. Further, if you need service and parts (used and new), they are easy to get. So many of these were sold, it's like owning a Toyota Camry.

When I'm on the road I use an old T30 which has Windows XP installed. Just checked ebay and here are three examples of some decent looking machines, at good prices:

$149 with shipping

IBM Thinkpad T30 P4 2Ghz 512MB 30GBHD DVD Laptop | eBay

This one is $150, slower but bigger drive

IBM ThinkPad T30 Notebook | eBay

Here's the faster machine, with the bigger drive, and a CD/RW DVD. The buy it now is $175 with shipping:

IBM ThinkPad T30 P4 M 2GHz 40GB 512MB CD-RW/DVD | eBay

With Windows computers at these prices, how can you NOT afford to have one?

And when I am on the road, I like the IBM because it can double up as sort of a desktop model by plugging in a USB keyboard and USB mouse. I use this combo:

NEW KEYTRONICS E03601U2M Keytronic E03601U2M Keyboard a | eBay

Once again, cheap, cheap, cheap and works great.

Yeah, bob is correct there, even if you're pretty astute with linux, I assume mac isnt much different, you eventually end up needing windows to run something that was designed for windows only.

virtualbox or vmware CAN do it, but one of my favorite pieces of software wont run properly without physical memory registers, so I have to have a windows box to use it.

For someone with multiple computers, if you have never seen synergy do yourself a favor and go check it out on sourceforge.net. Its totally free, allows you to use one mouse and keyboard over an unlimited number of computers without any hardware other than a router.

Only thing with it, dont use it over an unsecured network, it does transmit your keystrokes, so use encryption on your network.

You can also do an ssh tunnel but its a bigger pain in the ass to config.

The above deserves to be highlighted.

If you sell life insurance, you need a Windows computer.

Absolutely not true. I sell life insurance and I don't have a Windows computer... and I have no doubt that there are thousands upon thousands of other agents who sell life insurance who use a Mac or who run Linux.

Al
I am here.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got a new guy inthe office with a Mac. Makes me thankful I don't have one in this business.

We've got a new guy inthe office with a Mac. Makes me thankful I don't have one in this business.

Yep, nothing like having a computer that handicaps your business because the whole idea of having a computer is so you can arrange your life around its limitations.

In case no one noticed, let me repeat. If you are in the life insurance business, you can pick up a good solid Windows based laptop for under $200. Give me some good reason why you would not do that?

At those prices, why would you be so devoted to Apple products that you feel the need to shun also having a Windows PC?

Example:

A friend of my wife's called me to ask about switching vehicles. She owns a Ford Explorer and was worried about the gas mileage. She had borrowed her daughters Camry and couldn't get over how much cheaper it was to drive (gas).

The reason she called me was to ask about our Toyota Sienna mini-van. She didn't want to buy a Camry because at least once a year they hook up their 20 foot boat (full of stuff) and drive over 1,000 miles to vacation in Maine. She wondered if the Sienna would pull the boat OK.

I said she should keep her Explorer and buy the Camry. Given current trade in values, she wouldn't get much for the Explorer and would have to shell out a lot more money for the Sienna. Use the Camry as the daily drive, and use the Explorer when you need the room or hauling capacity.

Last night she joined us for dinner and I asked how it worked out. She was delighted.

Moral of the story, why have one piece of equipment when two are better and are no more money?

And why fart around trying to make Windows software run on a Mac when all it's going to do is give you grief?

Of course some people are just geeks who love to tinker and make their Apple computers do things they aren't supposed to, but if you are like me, and would rather do something else, buy the second computer.

This is my persoal bias, I have had nothing but good experiences with my mac book pro (still running like a champ, 7 yrs old) no virus', PC users go after the Apple corporation and owners. Yea they suck but they have a hell of a product. Then there's the price issue, if you want to pay a inexpensive price don't expect anything more than a cheap computer.

This is my persoal bias, I have had nothing but good experiences with my mac book pro (still running like a champ, 7 yrs old) no virus', PC users go after the Apple corporation and owners. Yea they suck but they have a hell of a product. Then there's the price issue, if you want to pay a inexpensive price don't expect anything more than a cheap computer.

How does it run an insurance practice and software better than a PC. What does a Mac cost?

I have a 6 yr old Dell that I "retired" to my 16 yr old son. It runs a lot of hours. Still running like a champ. I replaced it a year ago with an HP for about $500. That a USB hub and a 22" monitor is my desk top.

I am by no means a computer guy. I want to turn it on, press an icon and get what I want. I do not want to tweak anything.

Back