Making the most out of your client base, or wasting time?

Re: Making the most out of your client base....or wasting time?

my p&c agent told my wife the other day about this "new thing" called mortgage protection, he actually thought this was a new thing. or at least he was approaching it that way. maybe it's a new concept to some people. maybe he catches some people off guard and it is a new idea to them. she told him that her husband sells life ins.

Is it smoke and mirrors to let them know they are missing out on additional discounts on their auto and home insurance because they don't have their life insurance with that carrier ?

Many of our clients have been glad we brought the subject to the surface and for the ones who she does not close, she has free gifts and usually a $10 gas card for their taking time to stop down.

You couldn't tell them that on the phone?

Sounds like the typical P&C shop-type scenario...Allstate or State Farm?

Life insurance is a valuable product - on it's own.

True professionals don't present it as a way "to get a discount" on their auto and/or homeowner's insurance.

That you offer a "gas card" or "free gifts" is laughable...why not be a true professional and try to sell it to them straight up - because it has value to the client?

You couldn't tell them that on the phone?

Sounds like the typical P&C shop-type scenario...Allstate or State Farm?

Life insurance is a valuable product - on it's own.

True professionals don't present it as a way "to get a discount" on their auto and/or homeowner's insurance.

That you offer a "gas card" or "free gifts" is laughable...why not be a true professional and try to sell it to them straight up - because it has value to the client?

What is it that YOU do? How do YOU prospect and how do YOU close deals? I think it's only fitting that YOU open yourself up to some criticism, too.

What is it that YOU do? How do YOU prospect and how do YOU close deals? I think it's only fitting that YOU open yourself up to some criticism, too.​

Nah, then the "holier than thou" thing would self destruct. Internet muscles are pretty intimidating though. :noteworthy:

Although I don't need to justify anything we do in my office,for our primary company we are often among the top producers in the state, have been very profitable for the last 15 yrs and currently have the highest persistency in the state for the company.​

Although I'm sure that some here would want a blood sample and three years tax returns for proof!!​

I was simply trying to share some thoughts for a new producer who is obviously trying to work an existing P & C book. She'll probably figure it out all by herself:wacko:

Nah, then the "holier than thou" thing would self destruct. Internet muscles are pretty intimidating though.

If having respect for the value of life insurance as a great product on it's own, and not pushing it as a way to get a discount on your auto/HO insurance (but you get a free $10 gas card!) is considered "holier than thou" - then so be it! I'm guilty.

Although my dictionary does not specifically address "true professional" I think it's fair to respond to your comments.

Why not tell them on the phone ? Past experiences prove that many things can be misinterpreted while on the phone. While on the phone we do not have the luxury of "eye contact" to interpret possible confusion. We believe that our clients deserve the opportunity to have all their questions answered in a face to face setting.

Independant Agent contracted with 6 national carriers

Who presents it as a way to get discounts ?

Gas card, gifts show our appreciation for a client who drove out to see us. On that one you can "kiss my ass"... We value our clients taking the time to come to our office and let us do our jobs. How many of your clients will drive to your office when you ask ?

Why not tell them on the phone ? Past experiences prove that many things can be misinterpreted while on the phone. While on the phone we do not have the luxury of "eye contact" to interpret possible confusion. We believe that our clients deserve the opportunity to have all their questions answered in a face to face setting.

Who presents it as a way to get discounts ?

How many of your clients will drive to your office when you ask?

If I somehow misunderstood your "process", then I apologize.

I interact with my clients in they way they choose. It's 2008, and they're the boss - more than ever! If I asked the local ones to drive over and see me, they would.

This isn't just a tad misleading?

"Of course they want to know if there is a problem. She simply tells them "it's nothing we can't take care of in 10 or 15 minutes with your help"."

This isn't just a tad misleading?​
"Of course they want to know if there is a problem. She simply tells them "it's nothing we can't take care of in 10 or 15 minutes with your help"."

Naturally, her script varies from client to client. I have never heard her deliberately avoid answering a question such as "what is the problem" I have heard her say things such as "I was hoping that together, we could clear up some items in your file that need attention" and such. I consider that "marketing" the appointment. Maybe that's why our success rate in scheduling appointments is so high. If I had client complaints on the issue it would be stopped.​

The sarcasm about the gas cards and free gifts ? That's not "holier than thou" ?? Either way, I am glad to have so many thousands of "easily satisfied" simpletons like myself as clients. It really makes my job satisfying:)

Back