Marketing Medicare in Grocery Stores & Food Pantries outside of AEP

Tscholar

Super Genius
Just watched a video about this guy saying he sold a lot of Medicare by sitting in grocery stores and food pantries both inside and outside of AEP. Have any of you had sucess doing this? Do you think it's a good idea outside of AEP?

Just watched a video about this guy saying he sold a lot of Medicare by sitting in grocery stores and food pantries both inside and outside of AEP. Have any of you had sucess doing this? Do you think it's a good idea outside of AEP?

I personally Know people that have written a ton in food pantry’s . If your doing it compliantly you get there name and address and set appts up . I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Walmarts and Walgreens . Some are good and some are disasters . I’m a hunter and can’t see their and hope people come to my table . I need return cards so I can go after the business .

As someone who ran cart/table at universal studios for 10 years, I never want to “man” a location and wait for people to show up again.
It’s been 13 years and I still have nightmares…literally every night that I’m working that cart and I can’t leave.
To me, insurance isn’t taking orders. If I were to work a location like a store, my nightmares would become reality again lol

Can I just say, sitting at food pantries creeps me tf out. Maybe people write a lot of business and I know those people need help,but it just seems like you're exploiting the poor for your gain.

That’s not true . Your giving them $8 k in benefits if dual . Many desperately need the Dental and the food card . I’ve changed so many lives .

That’s not true . Your giving them $8 k in benefits if dual . Many desperately need the Dental and the food card . I’ve changed so many lives .

Learn reading comprehension.

I literally said those people need help. For me, it's feels exploitative.. because I don't want to go to a food pantry to scope for leads... and that why I'd be there.

If you're doing that and it doesn't feel scummy for you, awesome. I was saying it wasn't for me. I also don't actively market DSNP. They have enough people hounding them for business.

Last edited:
Fortunately, there are any number of ways to find prospects (or help them find you) and different ways to make a living in this business.

The market you choose to target may be your eventual "home" or it might be a stepping stone to a different type of clientele.

When I started in the individual U65 health insurance market some of my leads were "free" (very stale) and others were purchased (not much better). Everything was F2F and required me to drive all over the place (gas less than $1.50 per gallon) and sit down with folks in some of the poorest neighborhoods and try to convince them their dollars were better spent on health insurance than lottery tickets.

Didn't make many sales and had a lot of cancellations and chargebacks. Referrals from those folks wasn't a step up.

If you want a block of business from folks who want all the free stuff, well . . . good luck with that. They will take all you offer and hang on to it until the next better deal comes along.

The dollar menu and free refills is a money losing proposition unless you can upsell these folks to something more profitable.

Time is valuable and should be factored into your profit calculations. Your focus should be on things that generate the best ROI for your time and money.

Right now I am testing an internet (self gen) lead system that so far is $$ out and nothing in. This is a long play and, if it works, will probably take 6 months to break even, if not longer. Once I craft the right message, I believe it will work. Some trial and error right now but I can afford to give it a try.

Over a year ago I did the same thing with DM. That project took almost a year to break even and it worked quite well. I plan to keep that form of marketing until the well runs dry or ROI starts to drop.

The hardest thing for many agents is being under capitalized and needing to generate fast $$.

Just because some people have poor exp’s dealing with “poor” people doesn’t mean all will. At first dealing in low income mkt is tough . Getting the loyalty was tough. But I’ve tweaked my presentation big time focusing 10-15 min’s on loyalty ,the millions of calls you get and don’t fill cards out . I’m applying to be your agent for life .I find oep much tougher than oep as far as call centers attaching your book . From Aep until now I’ve increased my active book ( net of all cancels during aep and until now By 398. My friend who got me in this has been doing this 4 1/2 yrs 90% duals/lis and his active count is 970.You must take every call within 1-2 hrs and at the end of conversation i say” Betty you see how quick i called you back . I’m your agent for life and I’m here for you . Don’t call any 1-800 #’s and never ever give your ss or medicare # out . If you do you could start getting bills. I’d appreciate it if you’d give my name out to all your friends and tell them how i can help them like i helped you.”

Betty you see how quick i called you back . I’m your agent for life and I’m here for you . Don’t call any 1-800 #’s and never ever give your ss or medicare # out .

This is what makes me feel gross. Actions speak louder than words. If you have to keep reminding your clients that you answer the phone, I just don't think that's something that makes me feel like the expert.

It makes me feel like I'm begging them not to forget me. My clients know I'm the expert. I pick up the phone when they call. They don't need to be reminded because they hear from me passively monthly.

I do product marketing. My name is in their face every time they drink out of the mug I send them. Every time they use the letter opener I send them.

Not bashing anyone. I just don't work well when I'm begging.

This is what makes me feel gross. Actions speak louder than words. If you have to keep reminding your clients that you answer the phone, I just don't think that's something that makes me feel like the expert.

It makes me feel like I'm begging them not to forget me. My clients know I'm the expert. I pick up the phone when they call. They don't need to be reminded because they hear from me passively monthly.

I do product marketing. My name is in their face every time they drink out of the mug I send them. Every time they use the letter opener I send them.

Not bashing anyone. I just don't work well when I'm begging.

I believe duels are just a different market, Different mentality on the client side

I don't do many, I only do it when its the right client for a reason

Loyalty is different for the majority of them

If fact what they are looking for out of the insurance is more about extra's then coverage, network or piece of mind

Back