Marketing Medicare in Grocery Stores & Food Pantries outside of AEP

I believe duels are just a different market, Different mentality on the client side

I don't do many, I only do it when its the right client for a reason

Loyalty is different for the majority of them

If fact what they are looking for out of the insurance is more about extra's then coverage, network or piece of mind

Totally. I don't work duals actively. Mine are loyal and I almost never hear from them.

This is what makes me feel gross. Actions speak louder than words. If you have to keep reminding your clients that you answer the phone, I just don't think that's something that makes me feel like the expert.

It makes me feel like I'm begging them not to forget me. My clients know I'm the expert. I pick up the phone when they call. They don't need to be reminded because they hear from me passively monthly.

I do product marketing. My name is in their face every time they drink out of the mug I send them. Every time they use the letter opener I send them.

Not bashing anyone. I just don't work well when I'm begging.

Whether they are dual or not, I also tell my clients I'm their agent for life and tell them not to respond to mailers, etc. You call it begging, but I call it being smart. And 98% of them won't make a move without calling me first.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree there much less loyal than regular people . But in order to sell at a very high clip year round the best mkts are duals/lis or the t-65 mkt . When I started out 20 months ago to build my book fast that was the easiest mkt to target . This Year is my 3 rd aep so renewals will be big in Jan .Also 18 million Medicare beneficiaries are low income so a big slice . A good % of the middle to higher income is locked up by state or govt employee products or the Aons of the world .But after this aep I’ll be focusing much more on T-65 seminars , general education seminar’s and grass roots initiatives like networking with small town pharmacies, drs and dentist offices . I’ll also be approaching CPA’s and booking keeping businesses’s . Those take many yrs to develope .In small towns I work ive started approaching local coffee shops about providing 75 free Medicare branded coffee cups . But working festivals , fairs , Walmart or Walgreens will just be the same low income .

tell them not to respond to mailers, etc.

The only time that comes up with me is during the dating phase . . . someone contacts me, saying they are confused by all the mail . . . "what should I do?".

Toss it. The more you read the more confused you will become. Ask me any question and I will give you an answer, but without a sales pitch. My goal is to help you get to a point where you feel comfortable in moving forward with your decision. I will never try to sell you something you don't want, don't need and can't afford.

You let me know when you are ready . . .

I rarely get "stood up" . . . almost everyone who spends 15 minutes (or more) on the phone eventually buy. Sometimes within a week or so, sometimes it may be months or even years later.

I just took an app on a 75 year old who first contacted me when he was 64 and turning 65 in a few months.

They are allowed to "window" shop as long as they want . . . no pressure to buy . . . it's like fishing . . . dangle the bait and wait on them to come to me.

Last edited:
Whether they are dual or not, I also tell my clients I'm their agent for life and tell them not to respond to mailers, etc. You call it begging, but I call it being smart. And 98% of them won't make a move without calling me first

You gotta know that most clients don't care if you say you're their agent for life. It's more impactful, imo, if you make it about them, not about you.

I makes it about you.

Personally I,:O, say

if YOU have any questions... regardless of how dumb you think they are.. reach out. Medicare (or whatever) is super confusing and YOU have someone that has YOUR back. If you heard about another plan, WE can check it out and see if it's for YOU!

It's saying something similar, but it's not about me being their agent. It's about their concerns and having someone they can get input from when another agent comes to them that they don't know.

Take it however you like. If you need to tell someone "I'm your agent", do that. Making the same pitch, but making it about them... imo, defines value without making it about you.

Finally, if I feel like something makes me feel inauthentic, I'm not going to say it. That doesn't mean it isn't authentic to you.

I'm your agent for life makes me feel phony. It's not the way I speak. People see through that. However, I'm not knocking what other people do... I'm saying it doesn't work for me and why.

Last edited:
They are allowed to "window" shop as long as they want . . . no pressure to buy . . . it's like fishing . . . dangle the bait and wait on them to come to me.

This is my philosophy. There are thousands of agents in MI. Any one of them can sell you a plan. With me, you get a trusted advisor who answers your question about anything.

I have a client that I signed up while he was in SNF due to encephalopathy. Was a former cop. Reminds me of my dad. He gets confused at times and I tell him what he needs to worry about.

One time, he called from the dentist office.. just a normal checkup. I was on speaker phone. I let him know he doesn't have dental coverage and why I don't suggest it. The claims girl said, "He's right. I wouldn't buy it either."

I lost a dental sale, but that lady has referred me business for Medicare.

Every time he calls me, I answer his question, and I get a call back saying I was right. I always tell him, "I know." and he chuckles. You don't have to remind people you're their agent for life. You just have to be the agent that answers their questions honestly and reiterate when they have questions to always reach out.

They'll get the hint.

If you are focused on duals, I think a food pantry is a great idea. I know people who got reusable bags printed up, they donate them to a food pantry and in exchange, they get to set a table up. Works for me.

But its just like anything else (and its even more important in the dual world, when they can switch quarterly), what are you going to do to keep them?

Back