Mass Mailing with Gmail

It's not really about Gmail locking your account - it's that your IP will be banned from other ISP such as Comcast, Verizon, Yahoo, etc...

It's happened to me twice and it's a pain to get un-banned.

And gmail will lock your account if you send over a certain number of emails in a given time.

Your IP doesn't send gmail emails. googles IP sends them. Because of this, they will shut you down quick.

Dan

What good does a proxy do?
The account will still get shut down and locked out.

Actually, its not hard to google how many you can send per hour / per day. People run into this all the time.

If you are sending legit emails, its much easier to get a small VPS with a mail server on it, use something like phplist and send all the emails you want (within the terms of service, of course). Yeah, it will cost 10-15 a month.

Dan

It's not really about Gmail locking your account - it's that your IP will be banned from other ISP such as Comcast, Verizon, Yahoo, etc...

It's happened to me twice and it's a pain to get un-banned.

Oddly, sending email from gmail won't get your IP banned, it comes from the smtp's id, which in this case is google.

However, google has this filter on there for free accts, which I think is 200/24 hours hard capped and if you send more than that it won't allow sending.

You can definitely get your own IP blacklisted using a stmp though, which is probably what you did. I've had that happen a few times, some of the ISPs have their spamassassin style filters set down so low that 1/1000 spam report will cause a blacklist if you're not a major mail provider like gmail, yahoo, hotmail, that has a reciprocal whitelist.

Whatever happened to me, a bunch started coming back an undeliverable with the reason being that I was blocked.

More odd, I wasn't even remotely sending spam. I was sending messages to IHIAA members and when Yahoo, Comcast, Verizon, etc...all blocked me I was stunned.

It actually wasn't that hard to get unblocked, just a pain in the butt. I didn't know at the time that basically, I can't send the same message to hundreds of people from my account. A theory is that the word "insurance" triggered their spam filters.

I think it's either 250 or 500 in a day. I did it a couple years ago when I mass emailed a list of aged leads. I believe it only lasts for 24 hours. You have to send them is smaller batches. I think I started doing 50 five times per day, then did it for 4 days.

Back