Med America Vs Genworth

So its been stated that its hard to predict the availability of a family member to care for you in 20-30 years. I agree with that.

So if your goal was to have a family member paid for caring for you, you cannot predict that very well.

You are essentially paying extra for "flexibility" then.

Felixibilty for what?

To have a family member be paid to care for you or that a new method of care comes along that you can pay for with the cash.

I also find Medamerica's underwriting it bit more difficult than other companies.

previously posted by caltcagent

I also find Medamerica's underwriting it bit more difficult than other companies.

I can't disagree with you on that. They are sometimes living on their own planet when making an U/W decision.

However, if their target market is 40-55 (where their premiums are generally competitive) at that age bracket most applicants are in good health and will usually qualify for their preferred health rate.

Unlike other carriers, I always do a pre-qual with them before submitting an app, regardless of how benign a particular medical diagnosis may appear to be.

I can't disagree with you on that. They are sometimes living on their own planet when making an U/W decision.

However, if their target market is 40-55 (where their premiums are generally competitive) at that age bracket most applicants are in good health and will usually qualify for their preferred health rate.

Of course marketers hyped up their underwriting to me, only to be disappointed.

Last edited:
they are in california.
:yes::yes::yes:

My wife's age is 38 and policies difference in cost is almost 34%. MedAmercia is $2010 and Genworth was $1501. That is with a year's difference in age from 37 from when we bought the Genworth policy a year ago. We both have preferred rate status on the Genworth policy not standard.

Is California different?

Last edited:
My wife's age is 38 and policies difference in cost is almost 34%. MedAmercia is $2010 and Genworth was $1501. That is with a year's difference in age from 37 from when we bought the Genworth policy a year ago. We both have preferred rate status on the Genworth policy not standard.

Is California different?

yes.
calif. rates and policies are very different from every other state's policies and rates.

yes.
calif. rates and policies are very different from every other state's policies and rates.

You threw a teaser out there, Mr. Ed. Aren't all states' policies different from one another? Or are California's different from the rest?

Are CA rates more or less expensive than other states?

Last edited:
I suspect that a family member cared for your dad because your dad did not have long-term care insurance and couldn't afford to pay outside help.

right?

Yes. That is correct.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well to close the financial gap, the agent trying to sell me the MedAmerica policy is pushing the cash flexibilty of the policy. He has proposed to me that I go with a 3 year policy for myself and my wife. I was not into that because women usually need more time than men in a facility or home. I asked about what is the difference if I had 3 years of bp and my wife had 4 years. He stated it would be a $50 difference compared to what I am paying now. So I would pay 50 dollars more and get a year less on my policy.

Also, the home health portion of the MedAmerica, I forgot to ask the agent when the home care portion kicks in as Genworth does not have an elimination period for home care.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Lot less expensive with NYLife. Oh, I am sorry. You don't want an inexpensive policy with an A++ mutual company. You like the A and A- companies.

NYL does not carry LTC due to my wife's age. I did ask about them. They can do me, but not her.

Back