Med Supp Phone Objections

TDFnCali

Guru
1000 Post Club
California
Im sure everyone who sells med supps over the phone to existing medicare enrollees gets these same 2 objections.....Will my benefits change? Will my Drs accept the new supp plan?

The 1st one Im easily (usually) able to clarify for them & even show them in the "Choosing a Medigap Plan" booklet how it specifically states theres no difference but price. The 2nd objection is becoming more & more a pain in my ass....seniors are constantly thinking their Drs may change & reluctant to change.

My last case even called his Dr, and of course Im sure didnt ask the right exact question, and the Dr told him he never heard of it, so no. Once I called to follow up, he was done....he wouldnt listen to anything I had to say anymore.

That got me to thinking to read that Medigap booklet again, it had been awhile & I wanted to see where it talks about networks/Drs so seniors would know they all accept it...but I couldnt find this info. Can anyone help me find where this is in simple English for these seniors to understand?

Also, does anyone else call seniors far away (in my case its an 8hr drive) and once they have say at least 4-5 interested parties, fly/drive there & try to actually met with them F2F to close them instead of on the phone? I could close 3-5 times more leads F2F, easily getting over these objections....but my local area is prime for MAPDs, so I have to call far away.

Thx

The problem is how you present everything. Eventually you will get in a rhythm and learn an approach that works for you.

I sell everything by phone and have been doing so for years so it is 2nd nature to me. Unlike a lot of agents, I don't use screen sharing. Just another step and sometimes when you are trying to establish credibility they may wonder if you are sending them to a site that will infect their computer.

Keep it simple. Something like this.

Original Medicare doesn't have networks. You can use any doctor, lab or hospital anywhere in the US.

If your doctor accepts Medicare they will also accept your Medigap plan. Medigap and Medicare supplement are the same thing, like Kleenex and tissue. Just two different words for the same product.

All Medigap plans with the same letter are identical in every way.

Except price.

There is the going in price and the long term price.

Some carriers give you a great rate to suck you in then raise your rates once you are locked in and can't change plans. Other carriers will give you a good rate going in and treat you fairly over the long haul with nominal increases at renewal.

When you pay more you don't get more. You simply paid too much. Who wants to do that?

When you have original Medicare and a supplement plan there is no paper work, no claims to file, no money to handle.

You go to the doctor. The doctor files your claim with Medicare. Medicare reviews the claim, pays the doctor, then sends the claim to your Medigap carrier. Your supplement carrier is required by law to pay any claim approved by Medicare as long as your premiums are current. They cannot challenge the claim in any way. They pay it. Direct to the doctor, usually about a week after receiving the claim from Medicare.

KISS. Use terms that are familiar. I never talk about crossover. Never get into xs charges except when the situation calls for it.

That's good advice Bob,

Here is one issue I have been running into as I am playing around with teli leads, It is when I am able to save someone a good amount like $100 per month going from a blue cross to a medico or an aetna, They won't seem to believe it is true even with everything mailed black and white,Just won't believe

This usually only if the have Blue Cross or AARP. and only if the saving are $100 and above, Seems those with other cov or if the saving are $50 or below its not so much an issue

That's not just limited to Medicare prospects. It can happen in other sales too. If the offer is too good to be true they won't buy.

Years ago I took a break from the insurance business and got into VA streamline refi's. This was F2F kitchen table sales (which I hated). People would refi their home (nothing down, nothing OOP) to save $20 (even if it meant extending the loan back to 30 years) but would balk at a savings of $80+. If the savings was much over $45 they would not do it.

In the Medigap business I have done some F to F with savings in the $50 range but they won't go to G even if it knocks another $30 off the monthly premium.

Go figure.

The problem is how you present everything. Eventually you will get in a rhythm and learn an approach that works for you.

I sell everything by phone and have been doing so for years so it is 2nd nature to me. Unlike a lot of agents, I don't use screen sharing. Just another step and sometimes when you are trying to establish credibility they may wonder if you are sending them to a site that will infect their computer.

Keep it simple. Something like this.

Original Medicare doesn't have networks. You can use any doctor, lab or hospital anywhere in the US.

If your doctor accepts Medicare they will also accept your Medigap plan. Medigap and Medicare supplement are the same thing, like Kleenex and tissue. Just two different words for the same product.

All Medigap plans with the same letter are identical in every way.

Except price.

There is the going in price and the long term price.

Some carriers give you a great rate to suck you in then raise your rates once you are locked in and can't change plans. Other carriers will give you a good rate going in and treat you fairly over the long haul with nominal increases at renewal.

When you pay more you don't get more. You simply paid too much. Who wants to do that?

When you have original Medicare and a supplement plan there is no paper work, no claims to file, no money to handle.

You go to the doctor. The doctor files your claim with Medicare. Medicare reviews the claim, pays the doctor, then sends the claim to your Medigap carrier. Your supplement carrier is required by law to pay any claim approved by Medicare as long as your premiums are current. They cannot challenge the claim in any way. They pay it. Direct to the doctor, usually about a week after receiving the claim from Medicare.

KISS. Use terms that are familiar. I never talk about crossover. Never get into xs charges except when the situation calls for it.

Ive always gone over the objections FIRST, before getting into any savings (if any), to make sure they understood before going further. I didnt quite say all of this, so Im going to add this to me game.....thx.

1 question Ive always had.....since Medicare sends the 20% of the bill directly to the med supp company, why do Drs offices ask for your supp card then? What does it matter, since they dont bill directly?

Just to know u have 1?

My last case even called his Dr, and of course Im sure didnt ask the right exact question, and the Dr told him he never heard of it, so no. Once I called to follow up, he was done....he wouldnt listen to anything I had to say anymore.

What company did you offer him that his Dr. never heard of?

What company did you offer him that his Dr. never heard of?

IAC....and Ive heard how seniors ask if they accept plans. They ask as if its an HMO, and thats what the Drs office assumes as well.

IAC....and Ive heard how seniors ask if they accept plans. They ask as if its an HMO, and thats what the Drs office assumes as well.

I haven't had to deal with this issue much as I still do mostly face to face. But I wonder if it would be easier to just go with a more expensive name brand company (but still cheaper than what they currently have). And then after they are a customer for a while, and they trust you more, attempt to move them to the lesser known cheaper brand. I have had to do this before in face to face sales, the customer really wanted the name brand, and I had to remind myself to give the customer what they want.

Back