Med Supp Reading Info

fetam

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Just passed my test a couple days ago. Yay! Waiting to find out if my application was approved. Was wondering what I should be reading to find out everything about Medicare and Supps.

I have about 2 weeks before I will start making calls and setting appointments, so I want to get my head full of info. Didn't know if there was a state or fed website that had a bunch of info or you guys have something sitting on your computer you could post.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Go to www.medicare.gov click on every publication you can find.

Go to your state or Kansas or Missouri... they both have a publication on medicare related products and the information will carry over to other states.

Another worthless post from you.

Dwayne, let's be perfectly clear and get something straight.

I have been successful in this business for nearly 19 years now. If I'm not mistaken, you've told us that you've just "celebrated" your FIRST anniversary in the insurance business. Come back in another 18 years, and maybe you'll have some credibility.

If you were so "successful" in the automobile business, why would you abandon it after so many years?

People are very competent to choose whom to listen to. I trust them to decide.

I'd go to someplace with a good quote engine, personally I use the one at ritterim.com, they'll let you use it without being appointed to any of their carriers through them, and find out who is cheapest in my area I'm gonna be working, then I'd go read their underwriting guidelines on plan F. I don't know if this is the same everywhere, but probably 85% of my leads already want a plan F, they just want the best deal and someone that's gonna answer the phone if they need something. The tricky part was learning the underwriting and having a carrier for each thing. Like in my state, united of omaha is cheapest for most cases, unless you're talking about single people that are 80+ years old. Then its Admiral or Gerber. If they are GI or can pass underwriting. If they can't pass United's underwriting they can't pass admiral or gerber either, same exact underwriting. Next is UNL. UNL is a no for atrial fibulation or diabetes and 3 or more heart/cholesterol meds. ect ect. I have them memorized. If I had realized it when I was starting I would have made a flow chart or cheat sheet to determine underwriting.

Might wanna go ahead and submit apps for appointment with some more carriers. Also, go to medicare.gov, and get familiar with their drug compare tool if you wanna do any MA or Part D. That thing is your friend. You can print out a wicked good side by side comparison with it, of anything, with yearly totals tabulated. It is VERY hard to argue with. Someone wants to tell me how good their drug plan or whatever is, I can print that sheet and lay it on the table and say, well, you're right your company is good, but by switching to x you can save over 1000 a year without changing anything about your prescription drugs.

Best sales tool in my bag is asking the people for a list of drugs and conditions BEFORE I go to appointments so I already know all their underwriting issues and have prepared printouts showing drug cost comparisons and the correct application for med supp with me.

To Moonlight I would refer any client or prospect needing information or help on health coverage in Florida and know I would look good in the eyes of that prospect or client for doing it. I have in the past and he has done a great job!

And your post helped the original poster how?

To the original poster, if you are contracted with any Med Supp carriers, you can get some info from them. Read the Medicare & You booklet. Read Choosing a Medigap Policy: A Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare. Both are available on the Medicare website. The Choosing a Medigap Policy booklet should be with your Med Supp materials from the carriers. You need to know what Medicare does and doesn't pay. You also need to have a firm understanding of Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Part D. It's possible to be ready in two weeks, but if you know nothing about Medicare, you need to do some serious studying.

And lastly, you may want to give Frank a call.

Another worthless post from you. Why don't you just admit that you know nothing about Medicare supplements and can't help, instead of correcting his spelling. :D

Last edited:
Awesome guys. Thanks for the info. Found a ton to read on. I'm one of the smartest people I know, but of course one of the worse spellers. So sorry to Moonlight. I usually always do spell check, but it was spelled correctly, just not the right word. LOL.

I have called Frank and he is the man. I will be going with him, but just didn't want to bug him too much until I got my license approved so I could get appointed.

To ksigmtsu thanks for the info. That was some very helpful ideas. I might have to check out what you have in your bag in the next couple weeks if you don't mind.

And to Moonlight...no stress. I have some thick a$$ skin. Being in sales for so long you kinda have to have thick skin to make it for the long haul. I've read a lot of your posts and you do give good info. No biggie.

Back