Medical Cost Transparency

Full Throttle

Guru
1000 Post Club
Midwest
I have a high deductible plan and pay for everything under it, as it should be in my opinion. Fortunately, I've had very few medical issues. At the moment, I have an issue I'm dealing with and I'm seeing how broken the current system is in terms of price transparency.

Instead of going in and paying $85 to $150 for a doctor visit, I did an E-Visit for $35. Basically, the doctor and I talk via email. She suggests I get a CT Scan done on my head (to see if it's hollow inside!), orders up an exam at another location with the same provider (done automatically without talking to me first), and says to call to schedule it. All automated, no chance to discuss provider options or where to get it done cost effectively.

I call up the provider and ask to price. The answer, "what ever your insurer determines it to be." (said in an annoyed, final answer tone). I pressed harder, then she told me "between $2,000 to $8,000 dollars." That really helped narrow it down! So then I asked what would be the cash price if I didn't have insurance. Now very annoyed, she said she didn't know, someone else handles that, but since I had insurance, it did not matter anyway. I pressed harder, and got transfered to a v/m, still waiting on a return call.

This morning I emailed my doctor and asked if she could write the order and then let me shop it around at a few different imaging places. I figure my deductible resets Jan. 1 and I won't come close to meeting it, so why not pay in cash if I can get the cost down? Still waiting on a reply, hopefully she will be helpful.

Bottom line: the only reason I know to ask these questions is because I'm in the health insurance business. In my opinion, the provider should be required to disclose the cash price and the insurance price for all procedures / testing done and let the patient select the option that best suites them. That information would immediately end up online and patients could compare costs between different clinic systems on a cash basis.

Does that work for major issues? Probably not and most people would not care since they already reached their deductible. But for routine costs and common procedures, it seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Great post and totally agree, no transparency for any procedure as far as cost.

Please keep us updated on your findings and hope you are well.

Anybody who pays cash feels the same way!

Yes, I'm insured, but I've tried to find out what some procedures cost and nobody in the office ever seems to know. I find it amazing!

Dan

Anybody who pays cash feels the same way!

Yes, I'm insured, but I've tried to find out what some procedures cost and nobody in the office ever seems to know. I find it amazing!

Dan

Of course they know, it's whatever your ID card says the co-pay is. ;)

Of course they know, it's whatever your ID card says the co-pay is. ;)

I liken health insurance before you hit the OPM to having a discount card on services. Except, no one knows the price the discount is based off of until after services are provided, or the amount of the discount until after services are provided, or the cash price if you don't have a discount card.

The cost of getting this done will probably be comparable to buying a nice TV or laptop. Except with the CT procedure, no one will tell me the cost until after I buy the TV. How can I compare prices when no one will tell me what they charge? If I didn't have emergency savings to pay the cost of the CT, how could I plan my budget?

This is crazy.

Don't get me started on this issue. I will not do anything without knowing the price. You have to keep digging and digging, most cases the cash price is substantially different than the insurance discount. I recently had an appointment with my cardiologist, he wanted me to have an ultasound. Went to the front desk to schedule and started asking questions about cash versus insurance price. They got so frustrated, couldn't give me a straight answer. Called the doc back and told him I wasn't doing anything until I knew the price, he totally understood, cash price 40% less than insurance price.

So far from an hour of calls today:

Original Clinic System
BC/BS Price = $697
Cash Price = $659 (if I pay upfront, otherwise $733)

Independent Imaging Franchise
BC/BS Price = $700
Cash Price = $1000

Clinic System #2
Cash Price = $747
BC/BS Price = not sure yet, guessing it will be around $700

Clinic System #3
Cash Price = $2,455
BC/BS Price = not sure, didn't bother asking

Independent Imaging Franchise #2
Cash Price = $800
BC/BS Price = not sure, but most seem to be around $700

There's one other clinic system to call me back, but those look like my main options. If nothing else, I saved $40 by asking to pay up front and know I did my due dilegence. Not as much savings as I figured.

Lessons learned:

1. The cash price for most systems seems to be higher than the reimbursement rate. I was under the impression that this was largely a myth, but in most cases, it seems to be true. At least for CT Scans in my area, maybe it's different for other procedures.

2. The only way to get pricing is to ask for the "financial councellor", "patient advocate", or whatever title their billing person goes by. Don't waste time talking to the individual clinic. The original person I asked at the clinic told me it would cost between $2,000 to $8,000, just depended on my insurance company.

Last edited:
A couple of carriers right now have comparison type programs where you can cost compare diagnostic services.

This one of my big selling points.

I can show that a hospital charges $2,200 for an MRI and a diagnostic imagining center charges $330 for the exact same procedure.

If Anthem of Alabama is part of Wellpoint then you should have access to these type of programs online

Back