Medicare Trial right

ValeRosso

Guru
Does anyone know if the trial right (signed up for MAPD but want to switch to Supp) only applies if the person enrolled in Medicare AB during their IEP? Or does it also apply if the person delayed medicare AB until a later date, then signed up for a MAPD shortly after?

Here are my notes from a United American local road show last year: "NO MA trial right if you delay Part B! You must be Part A and Part B effective on turning 65 to use MA trial right and have joined an MA plan at that same time." The other trial right is when you took a Med Supp during intial enrollment period, then tried an MA plan, then wanted back into your Med Supp. That's how I understand the trial rights. HOWEVER, I get the feeling from working with multiple carriers that carriers have some leeway in whether or not they follow these exact rules. Please correct me if I've got it wrong.

Here are my notes from a United American local road show last year: "NO MA trial right if you delay Part B! You must be Part A and Part B effective on turning 65 to use MA trial right and have joined an MA plan at that same time." The other trial right is when you took a Med Supp during intial enrollment period, then tried an MA plan, then wanted back into your Med Supp. That's how I understand the trial rights. HOWEVER, I get the feeling from working with multiple carriers that carriers have some leeway in whether or not they follow these exact rules. Please correct me if I've got it wrong.
Trial right 1 is if your Part A and B the same and you sign up for a Mapd . That’s going to usually always be when. You turn agent 65 as your A start then . Then anytime in the first 12 months you don’t like you can sign up with any med sup you want . Trial right 2 you took a med sup at age 65 with A and B the same . Any time in your life you can try a mapd. You have 12 months to test it . You don’t like you have to go back to the exact same med sup if its still available .. I think Carriers are strick with this .

Do you know if that includes getting back to the original age-issued rate, or would it be limited to the current rate for your current age? Not too many age-issued plans out there so it's an obscure question. Transamerica (Direct) is age-issued. It does make a difference, surprisingly. It would cost much more to sign up now for their F vs what I pay for F having signed up for it 7 years ago. Mine goes up, but remains cheaper than any comparable plans for my age in my market, though several supps add innovative benefits now which complicates comparisons. Humana, Blue Shield of CA, and I think Anthem have extras.

@just-a-client GI does not reset to issue age . . . you go in at your attained age.

Georgia is issue age for all plans. When you get a new plan, GI or underwritten, you go in at your attained age . . . since that is your new issue age.

Last edited:
Do you know if that includes getting back to the original age-issued rate, or would it be limited to the current rate for your current age? Not too many age-issued plans out there so it's an obscure question. Transamerica (Direct) is age-issued. It does make a difference, surprisingly. It would cost much more to sign up now for their F vs what I pay for F having signed up for it 7 years ago. Mine goes up, but remains cheaper than any comparable plans for my age in my market, though several supps add innovative benefits now which complicates comparisons. Humana, Blue Shield of CA, and I think Anthem have extras.
It goes back to the exact same Plan you had if it’s available . So if your Plan was $300 a month when you left and the rate a yr later is $330 you’d pay that $330 .

Back