Medigap and MIB 20 Characters

Over the last 15 yrs, after switching from 100% group health to individual, I have had very few apps declined. Most of those apps were pre-Obamacare when underwriting and phone interviews were the norm.

Changing over to Medicare 5 years ago, early on I had some declines which were mostly my fault. As carriers started using Rx history as a primary tool, I had to change my strategy and ask detailed questions about medication.

I have had maybe half a dozen Medigap apps declined because the applicant forgot about a condition, such as surgery discussed but not yet planned. I have learned to drill deeper in pre-screen and have very few declines.

Still have a problem with underwriters that pull the decline trigger when a medication shows up that can be used for a very serious heart condition but is also used to control BP.

Much easier to assume the worst than request doc records.

When it comes to underwriting interviews the worst candidates are talkers and nurses. I have to remind medical personnel to "act dumb" and pretend they are ordinary people with limited knowledge about health conditions. Sometimes they can't follow directions and want to engage the underwriter in conversation so the underwriter will understand just how healthy they are.

They don't seem to realize that underwriters are risk averse and are much more comfortable saying "no".

UPDATE

Client successfully placed with another carrier. Approved as applied. Same day.

Back