Medigaps Threatened by Congress?

brooks

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I just received this email.

Huh? :swoon: First I've heard about this. What's he talking about?

Date: July 21, 2011
To: Valued Agent
Re: Medicare Supplements threatened by Congress

Congress has focused on changing Medigap products to eliminate “first dollar” coverage as a part of its Debt Ceiling deliberations. This is somewhat like draining the ocean with a water glass but in this case the glass will not even hold water.
We need your help in protecting America’s senior citizens from increasing out of pocket costs and defending what is the most popular insurance product in the history of the industry. Not only does Medigap allow seniors to plan for their health care costs and partially pay for them through monthly Medigap premiums, but trying to reduce the budget by shifting more costs to seniors is bad public policy.
Moreover, the proposed changes being discussed by Congress will certainly dramatically reduce the commission that can be paid on Medigap policies and may impose limits on the duration of commission payments as well.
Finally, these changes may render Medigap policies unprofitable from an actuarial standpoint and cause many companies to withdraw from the market.
PLEASE HELP US SOUND THE ALARM. We need for you to take the following actions:
  1. Go to www.protectmedigap.org and get up to speed on the issues we are facing. This site will also allow you to email your Congressional representative directly and express your concerns;
  2. Call 1-888-869-1923 and an operator will connect you with your Representative’s office so that you can make your feelings known.
  3. Involve others you know in our efforts, such as your policyholders, business associates and friends;
  4. Contact us via e-mail at [email protected] to express your commitment to this endeavor. We would appreciate knowing that you are involved and working with us.
This is an urgent matter and requires your commitment. We must make Congress aware that our seniors are not able to absorb reduced benefits from Medicare and tampering with Medigap will not reduce the deficit but will harm millions of seniors. Thanks for your consideration.

The idea is if the senior has a supplement that covers everything that Medicare doesn't cover and knows they do not have to pay anything out of pocket they do not hesitate to go to the doctor becuase they do not have any cost involved. Some of the politicians are saying that if a cost is involved it will decrease the demand and hence cost on medical services.

Last edited:
The idea is if the senior has a supplement that covers everything that Medicare doesn't cover and knows they do not have to pay anything out of pocket they do not hesitate to go to the doctor becuase they do not have any cost involved. Some of the politicians are saying that if a cost is involved it will decrease the demand and hence cost on medical services.

What? I thought the goverment wanted free health care???? So which is it? Let people go for free or make sure they have a copayment.? What a bunch of idiots.

They want to make health insurance for under 65 top heavy on first dollar coverage but punish seniors by introducing copays and deductibles.

Does anyone up there have a f**king clue what they are doing?

So first individual health, now med supps. Is this going to fly? Somebody needs to get a commercial to scare the life out of grandma and grandpa.

Am I going to have to sell prepaid legal next?

I have a friend who is age 50 and her husband is 50 and their son is age 9. They pay $1953 a month for their health insurance plan.

I wrote a man the other day who is aging in at 65 and he will be paying 0 premium and is in the process of having paperwork processed so he also does not have to pay the $116 a month for Medicare part B.

My friend who is age 50 makes a great income. I don't feel though that the burden should fall on them as much as it is though. The $2000 a month difference in premium is mind-boggling. In a few years before she and hubby reach age 65 at the present rate they will be paying $5000 a month in no time at all.

I have a friend who is age 50 and her husband is 50 and their son is age 9. They pay $1953 a month for their health insurance plan.

I wrote a man the other day who is aging in at 65 and he will be paying 0 premium and is in the process of having paperwork processed so he also does not have to pay the $116 a month for Medicare part B.

My friend who is age 50 makes a great income. I don't feel though that the burden should fall on them as much as it is though. The $2000 a month difference in premium is mind-boggling. In a few years before she and hubby reach age 65 at the present rate they will be paying $5000 a month in no time at all.

Keep in mind that they guy turning 65 has a premium of between $800-900 for his Medicare. He's just paying $115.40.

It's interesting that Medicare can only pay 80% of the bills on that amount but his MA plan can provide a better benefit. Something about private insurance...

Rick

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]I too think that there needs to be a deductable for those on traditional Medicare.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]In today's environment where countless working Americans commonly have deductibles in the $3000 range even at work, a zero deductable or even $162 is just not in sync with the times. [/FONT]

Last edited:
Back