Metlife Auto & Home

Been with Erie for 20+years now with no complaints. If you can get hooked up with Erie you would not regret it.

Erie is probably the last company out there that makes it easy for scratch agents to get in the business. Scratch agents that fit their profile !!

I am a captive agent with Met in Texas. At first it seemed pretty good. But as your manager goes so go you. Plus you have to put an office lease in your name but you are still subject to quotas, etc and you only have one product to write. Now they are going to be changing commissions soon too.

Last edited:
Met's pretty good in my area - definitely only competitve in preferred, though. They are one of few still doing guaranteed replacement cost on the HO policy and have pretty close to a true umbrella versus an excess liability policy.

I would be interested in an appt with them if they appt independents.

I would let your one quote of being $375 discourage you. With credit and insurance scoring you need to do 150 quotes to see if you are competitive. One question I have is are you an employee at Met? If so, for how long? Most captives cut the strings at some point. While it doesn't give you the freedom to bring on other carriers, you become an independent contractor and the quotas go away.

I having been talking to Metlife Auto & Home becoming a captive agent for them. Does anyone have any experiences with them? Thanks.

Normally I would find out why you have not visited an independent to see about a job with them. But first I'd need to know if you have any savings set aside and have any prior insurance experience. MetLife and other companies can help you financially get going but then you are stuck writing for only one carrier. The independent route is absolutely terrific. arizona auto insurance

Back