Month to Month Homeowners For Renovation

I think I have it figured out guys , the question that I didn't ask that I should have is "Is there a homeowners policy that will let you vacate for renovations longer than 30 days on a regular HO policy" and the answer to that question is yes.

And the answer is that all HO policies do.

But it's not just the question that's important, it's the details.

If it's your house and you have to move out temporarily there are exclusions that you have to be aware of.

The first has to do with Glass Breakage:

b. This coverage does not include loss:
(1) To covered property which results because the glass or safety glazing material has been broken, except as provided in a.(3) above; or
(2) On the "residence premises" if the dwelling has been vacant for more than 60 consecutive days immediately before the loss, except when the breakage results directly from earth movement as provided in a.(2) above. A dwelling being constructed is not considered vacant.

The second has to do with the vandalism exclusion:

Vandalism and malicious mischief, and any ensuing loss caused by any intentional and wrongful act committed in the course of the vandalism or malicious mischief, if the dwelling has been vacant for more than 60 consecutive days immediately before the loss. A dwelling being constructed is not considered vacant;

Is "constructed" the same as "remodeled" or "renovated"? Well, not if you apply the basic definitions of the words. So, to be safe, you call your Homeowners insurance agent and ask to buy a Vacancy Permit. Doesn't cost much.

There is also an exclusion for

Theft in or to a dwelling under construction, or of materials and supplies for use in the construction until the dwelling is finished and occupied;

So make sure tools, equipment, and supplies are properly secured. Even if you are fully covered, a claim is never a happy experience so exercise that ounce of prevention.

Back