Most Generous Carriers for Home Valuation?

MichaelBurton

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Texas
I have a client who is a home builder who literally built his own custom home prior to retirement. Kind of his last hurrah and he put his heart and soul into it. He's worried about how it would affect him now, with so much of himself invested into it, if it burned down. He doesn't think his current carrier (USAA) has it valued nearly high enough. I told him he'd probably be nuts to switch from USAA and that USAA has a built in adjustment of up to 120% of the appraised value of his home. Not good enough. So . . . I told him I'd ask around. And here I am. Where shall I send him? I'm a life only agent in Texas.

Would love to give him a few companies that will be the most generous on the valuation/appraisal.

Thanks for your help!

I have a client who is a home builder who literally built his own custom home prior to retirement. Kind of his last hurrah and he put his heart and soul into it. He's worried about how it would affect him now, with so much of himself invested into it, if it burned down. He doesn't think his current carrier (USAA) has it valued nearly high enough. I told him he'd probably be nuts to switch from USAA and that USAA has a built in adjustment of up to 120% of the appraised value of his home. Not good enough. So . . . I told him I'd ask around. And here I am. Where shall I send him? I'm a life only agent in Texas.

Would love to give him a few companies that will be the most generous on the valuation/appraisal.

Thanks for your help!

American National Insurance. I can help him if he still needs help. We will work with him on the value of the house, even order a 3rd party inspection that the client can walk with the inspector to get the correct valuation. Most of my clients complain because they think we value their house too high lol

Find a company, like Erie, that has a guaranteed replacement cost option if he is worried that the number the insurance company puts on it is not enough. Just a FYI, that number is almost never too low if the calculator used has the correct information put into it.

Find a reputable IA in your area. Home valuation is not a simple one-and-done deal, though if often gets treated that way. Sounds like maybe that's what USAA did. Heck, I'm even guilty of it sometimes.

Yes, certain carriers tend to be higher than others on RCE but that's no substitute for properly evaluating the property.

Many thanks for your replies, folks. I passed along a few suggestions and he went dark. I think he was just in a nervous fit. At the end of the day, a USAA P&C customer is going to stay with USAA.

Back