MSA and out of country QME

pogo

Expert
If someone has an MSA and they receive medical services outside the US, can they get reimbursed for those expenses from funds in their MSA? Those expenses would fit the definition of QME according to IRS Pub 502.

Of course, I would not expect those out-of-country expenses to apply to the deductible, even if the services would have been covered by Medicare if provided in the US.

I would think the foreign provider would have to agree to accept the MSA, and you could use the debit card that comes with your MSA.

That would be a good question to ask Lasso.

Foreign providers do not participate in Medicare.

This link does not directly answer the OP question but does speak to MSA's in general.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Explainer: Medicare Medical Savings Account (MSA) Plans - GoodRx
I believe most of the MAPD plans have coverage outside the U.S., and it looks better than the coverage on a Med Supp. I'm not sure if MA has to be reimbursed, like on a Med Supp. I didn't see foreign coverage mentioned on MSA, but I don't see why you couldn't use the MSA's debit card outside the country.

If MSA's were excepted in my area, I'd offer them.

I would think the foreign provider would have to agree to accept the MSA, and you could use the debit card that comes with your MSA.

That would be a good question to ask Lasso.

I am certified with Lasso and have been for several years now even though I've never written one of their MSA plans due to their terrible star rating, and I recently received news from them that they were getting out of the MSA business as of the end of this year.

Lasso was a good concept (with an odd name) but too complicated for most folks to understand. This includes agents, prospects and providers. With that many confused people in the mix I am surprised it lasted this long.

There were a number of complaints on the forum about providers refusing to accept patients with the plan which did not help matters.

I feel certain there are other branded Medicare MSA plans but I never hear about them.

I am certified with Lasso and have been for several years now even though I've never written one of their MSA plans due to their terrible star rating, and I recently received news from them that they were getting out of the MSA business as of the end of this year.
Wow. I had them a couple of years ago, but never sold any because none of the providers would accept it.

My brother in law on Medicare sup had emergency in Spain . First words are credit card or no care . I’d have zero confidence in getting reimbursed. If so it’d take many many many months .

Lasso was a good concept (with an odd name) but too complicated for most folks to understand. This includes agents, prospects and providers. With that many confused people in the mix I am surprised it lasted this long.

There were a number of complaints on the forum about providers refusing to accept patients with the plan which did not help matters.

I feel certain there are other branded Medicare MSA plans but I never hear about them.

I wrote one case with Lasso as it was the lowest MOOP at the time ($5,000 with a $2,000 contribution making it a $3,000 MOOP). This client knew she'd run through $3,000 fairly quickly. The biggest challenge was Part B covered medications because Lasso didn't have the necessary info for a pharmacy to file the claim. To their credit, they worked diligently to get the issue resolved and help the client.

Here in Georgia, it's the only MSA plan available.

Back