Multiple coverages when on Medicare

I was not correcting a spelling error . . . merely pointing out the correct term used by carriers and government when determining if your prior coverage is such that it can be CREDITED towards your new coverage.

CREDIBLE means the subject is believable . . . which has nothing to do with Part D or any other coverage where the carrier is looking to see if prior coverage could be credited towards the new coverage.

I looked at the 9 page document you linked and searched for references to CREDITABLE coverage . . . found 11 citations, all referring to creditable drug coverage . . . didn't see anything indicating credible/creditable coverage is determined by whether or not you have a working spouse covered under the group plan.

I need a bit more enlightenment . . .

Hi Somarco,

It would be my pleasure to give you a little bit more enlightening, but only a little lol.

It's possible I'm wrong, it's happened before and there's a very small possibility it will happen again.

Page 3 first paragraph.

What do I need to do when my spouse stops working or I lose my coverage

from my spouse’s employer?

• Enroll in Part A and Part B (even if you sign up for COBRA or retiree health coverage). You have 8 months to enroll in Medicare once you stop working OR your employer coverage ends (whichever happens first). But you’ll want to plan ahead and contact Social Security before your employer coverage ends, so you don’t have a gap in coverage.

! WARNING: If you do not enroll in Part B within 8 months of losing your coverage based on current employment, you may have to pay a lifetime late enrollment

penalty. In addition, you will only be able to enroll in Part B during the Medicare General Enrollment Period (from January 1 to March 31 each year) and your coverage won’t start until July. This may cause a gap in your coverage.

Have a great evening my friend!

I refuse to pose the question a 3rd time, and I have no idea what (or whose) question you think you are answering, but they are not mine.

Have a nice evening. You are wasting my time and yours.

I refuse to pose the question a 3rd time, and I have no idea what (or whose) question you think you are answering, but they are not mine.

You continue to request to be enlightened regarding Medicares regulations on delaying Part B
“didn't see anything indicating credible/creditable coverage is determined by whether or not you have a working spouse covered under the group plan.

I need a bit more enlightenment . . .”

You can still work, have group coverage, and it can be not creditable.

(Slightly) splitting hairs . . . MAY not be creditable.

FWIW I have never encountered, nor known of, a situation where a carrier refused a request because the prior coverage was not creditable.

If anything, HDHP's should be deemed not creditable due to the high OOP, but I have never known of a situation where such coverage was rejected because it was not creditable.

Post 2013 quite a few folks are buying indemnity plans . . . lower premium . . . appearance of low OOP. Those things are not anywhere close to a true major med. Same for the "sharing" programs . . . not even insurance, much less creditable.

This has been painful to read. Creditable also concerns whether or not they need Part B, not just Part D. I'm failing to see why they are needing both the group and a MSA MA plan.

I would also like to add that the questions asked/things pointed out by Somarco are pertinent. While he does come off crass (and I disagree with him on certain things), he is quite knowlegeable, whereas....

A couple reached Medicare status based on age etc. They also have their group coverage with BCBS through a small employer's group. I can offer them MA MSA, but am not sure how the high deductible will play. Will this coverage be beneficial for them (no health issues at all) because their group plan will cover whatever the high deductible will not, and will give the coverage for their medications, or better offer them an MAPD to be sure they are secured with all coverages they need and no penalty will apply? I can't make a right decision. Can someone help me with this?

What is the size of this group? If 20+ employees, they really don't need to enroll in Part B if they plan on staying on the group plan. That would most likely be a waste of money since the group plan would be primary. If the size of the group is under 20, then they definitely need to enroll in Part B and likely no longer remain on the group plan. Again, likely a waste of money. If they fall under the latter scenario, then you simply have to determine what plan is a fit for them (Med Supp/PDP, MAPD or MA MSA with a PDP).

Back