Must I add a non-licensed relative on my auto insurance?

Stingray571

Must I add a non-licensed relative on my auto insurance(in New Jersey)?

It seems the only answer I can get from anyone on this is it's "required by law".

Why? The person doesn't have a driver's license, so the only reason I can think is that the state
and insurance companies are just cooperating in legalized extortion.

Obviously I'm seriously pissed-off at this as my insurance company is trying to stick me with
an $115/mo increase of my premium.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Who is this relative?
What is the relationship to the insureds?
Age and sex of the relative?
Why is this relative a member of your household?

Why doesn't this person have a driver license?
How many licensed drivers in the household?
How many cars in the household?

Give us all the facts and you might get some helpful comments.

Ah, ok, I honestly didn't think that any of that was relevant as she(my daughter) does not have a license.

But, as mentioned, she is my daughter, she's 31. She recently had a divorce and had no place to go, so she moved in with me. She was a housewife for many years and didn't have the need nor the interest in driving, so she never got a driver's license.

I am the only licensed driver and I have two (crappy) cars.

Thanks again.

I am the only licensed driver and I have two (crappy) cars.

That's it. From the underwriter's standpoint there is a risk that your daughter will drive one of the cars, even without a license.

Sorry, but people do that all the time (emergency, just this once) and, statistically, insurance companies pay lots of claims for it. There's no conspiracy going on.

Might as well have her get licensed and let her drive one of the cars.

You can shop for coverage and price with other insurance companies and see how that goes.

New Jersey has an Excluded Driver provision. See if it can be applied to your situation knowing that your daughter will not be able to drive your vehicles, you will have no coverage if she does, and there could be a time frame which she would have to stay as a non-driver before she could then be added to a policy.

Back