My biggest day in the field

You have to love when they have found and bought almost every worst deal in the biz!

"Lincoln Heritage, American Income Life, Colonial Penn, they had it all."

Nope, not all. They needed AARP and Globe to complete the set.

A few weeks ago Christian Yelich went 6 for 6.
Twice this year he hit for the cycle.
Big days.

I had a day like that the week before last. No showed, then a timy little $17 month policy - the day sure started out "dudley." But it finished late and real strong when I started finding American Income Life policies behind every door. I took a somewhat different slant than you. I could have gotten them the same or more coverage for less, but instead I just went ahead and got them a lot more coverage for the same or slightly more than they were already paying. Once those dollars are budgeted for life insurance, they ought to stay in life insurance, imho.

Congrats on a great day ... or as Wino put it: Congrats! You had a great month yesterday!
Thanks buddy! I always try to capture the premium unless they tell me that they need to lower their bill. In both scenarios they wanted to lower their bill so I showed them all the options and let them pick. But that's great feedback! I appreciate it! Always capture premium unless the client explicitly states they NEED to lower their bill.

So many people pick the middle.
Save them some money and more coverage or value.

IMohsoHO

So many do pick the middle number - but we get to be the ones who decide what number will be the middle. When I am replacing, the "middle" number is going to be the amount they are currently paying +/- a few cents. The "low" number will be the price for keeping the same benefit with lower premium. The "high" is simply a nice round benefit number.

If they are paying 55/month for $7K now, I would show them the following three choices:

$15K = $68/month
$12K = $55/month
$7K = $43/month

Now, whichever way they indicate they prefer, I support them in that decision, because I want to leave with something that will likely stay on the books. If someone sees the value of paying just $13/month more and securing a benefit more than twice what they were getting before (and with carriers like American Income Life, that is very easy to do), and they indicate that they feel that is a good value, then that is what I support. If instead they say they'd really like that lower payment, I will support that decision.

Chris had mentioned going low for persistency. I get that. However, I also think that selling someone too little benefit can be just as much a potential persistency issue as selling too much. If you leave them with a cheaper payment for the same $7K, but you missed that the reason they sent the card in was because they felt $7k wasn't enough, you are at risk to losing out to the next guy who comes in 3 months from now and replaces your cheap $7K policy with reasonably priced $15K benefit. I'd rather give them the choices, and see what their first instinct is, and then support that choice.

That is something I took from the car business. Some folks are truly payment buyers, while others come in acting as though they are payment buyers, but what they really want is heated vibrating leather seats and a rear seat jacuzzie/adult entertainment system :yes:

So many do pick the middle number - but we get to be the ones who decide what number will be the middle. When I am replacing, the "middle" number is going to be the amount they are currently paying +/- a few cents. The "low" number will be the price for keeping the same benefit with lower premium. The "high" is simply a nice round benefit number.

If they are paying 55/month for $7K now, I would show them the following three choices:

$15K = $68/month
$12K = $55/month
$7K = $43/month

Now, whichever way they indicate they prefer, I support them in that decision, because I want to leave with something that will likely stay on the books. If someone sees the value of paying just $13/month more and securing a benefit more than twice what they were getting before (and with carriers like American Income Life, that is very easy to do), and they indicate that they feel that is a good value, then that is what I support. If instead they say they'd really like that lower payment, I will support that decision.

Chris had mentioned going low for persistency. I get that. However, I also think that selling someone too little benefit can be just as much a potential persistency issue as selling too much. If you leave them with a cheaper payment for the same $7K, but you missed that the reason they sent the card in was because they felt $7k wasn't enough, you are at risk to losing out to the next guy who comes in 3 months from now and replaces your cheap $7K policy with reasonably priced $15K benefit. I'd rather give them the choices, and see what their first instinct is, and then support that choice.

That is something I took from the car business. Some folks are truly payment buyers, while others come in acting as though they are payment buyers, but what they really want is heated vibrating leather seats and a rear seat jacuzzie/adult entertainment system :yes:

I like it.

Big number Little number =

$15,000.00 = $68.
$12,000.00 = $55.
$7,000.00 = $43.

Many ways to do what we do.

I don't like looking like the old salesman, so my bottom number would be maybe $8,000.00 for $XX. (more insurance) My middle number would be maybe 11,500,00 (more insurance, less $) for a bit less than what the old salesman sold.

Last edited:
Should be $12000=55$-$15000=68$-$20000=99$ That's how I do it anyways. My bigger premiums stay on the books at a higher persistency.

Back