My Plan.....insight Please

Usually the sale for health, life or other is made before the appointment. Appointment is for doing the application. If u keep giving clients different rate with a lap top u will not make the sale client will say. Let me think and call u.

If you end up interested in Medicare Advantage, I would suggest a cheap net book, under $200. Many of the carriers provide enrollment software, that makes life a lot easier. If not, I really don't think you need to spend money on a computer. It sounds good and makes sense, but the most valuable time you will spend in the field is talking to potential customers, not typing on a computer.

You are in a great area, lot's of opportunity. I think you should go after the police, paramedics, and firefighters, those you work with and around. Sell them life, accident, critical illness, etc. I know many agents who have made a great living helping emergency personal with life insurance. Since you work among them, may be a good idea to capitalize on the opportunity.

Either way, it is good to have a plan, but most importantly, remember that it's all about seeing the people. You could be the most organized agent in town, with the most advanced laptop, GPS system, and state of the art enrollment software, but none of that really matters unless you see the people.

If you have nothing other than a great personality, persistence, product knowledge, and you see the people, that's really all you need to succeed.

If you end up interested in Medicare Advantage, I would suggest a cheap net book, under $200. Many of the carriers provide enrollment software, that makes life a lot easier. If not, I really don't think you need to spend money on a computer. It sounds good and makes sense, but the most valuable time you will spend in the field is talking to potential customers, not typing on a computer.

You are in a great area, lot's of opportunity. I think you should go after the police, paramedics, and firefighters, those you work with and around. Sell them life, accident, critical illness, etc. I know many agents who have made a great living helping emergency personal with life insurance. Since you work among them, may be a good idea to capitalize on the opportunity.

Either way, it is good to have a plan, but most importantly, remember that it's all about seeing the people. You could be the most organized agent in town, with the most advanced laptop, GPS system, and state of the art enrollment software, but none of that really matters unless you see the people.

If you have nothing other than a great personality, persistence, product knowledge, and you see the people, that's really all you need to succeed.

Great post thanks
My desktop is acting up at home and internet is going on and off so I have to replace some data card or something...not real computer savvy, really just using this as an excuse to get a laptop so I can follow my fantasy football while on the couch stuffing my face........please dont tell my wife:nah:

Great post thanks
My desktop is acting up at home and internet is going on and off so I have to replace some data card or something...not real computer savvy, really just using this as an excuse to get a laptop so I can follow my fantasy football while on the couch stuffing my face........please dont tell my wife:nah:

I used a Toshiba Netbook for close to a year in the field, wrote over 500 MA's on it, totally reliable, and you can also follow fantasy football! If you end up picking up a wireless USB device eventually, maybe for around $30 per month you would be fully mobile. However you wouldn't need the wireless device for business really, that would just be for personal use. The carrier software is offline (many but not all), so you can upload the applications once you are home or at a wifi hotspot. (the $200 Toshiba has wifi also, it was from Best Buy, B204 or B240 model I think. Battery would last 10 hours. I dropped it constantly, no problems ever.).

I used a Toshiba Netbook for close to a year in the field, wrote over 500 MA's on it, totally reliable, and you can also follow fantasy football! If you end up picking up a wireless USB device eventually, maybe for around $30 per month you would be fully mobile. However you wouldn't need the wireless device for business really, that would just be for personal use. The carrier software is offline (many but not all), so you can upload the applications once you are home or at a wifi hotspot. (the $200 Toshiba has wifi also, it was from Best Buy, B204 or B240 model I think. Battery would last 10 hours. I dropped it constantly, no problems ever.).

Does that Toshiba have a USB port to plug in a signature pad?

Yes it does. I was able to plug the sig pad into the USB Port (Topaz Systems Sig Lite model), and it worked perfectly.

Everything was great until I lost the power cord.

Now I use a Mac, cost thousands, does everything, runs Windows, and I really miss the Toshiba. Much easier, longer battery life, no problem if you drop it, etc. I recommend the netbook for field work over a regular laptop, since the battery life, the weight, etc., is perfect. Also it isn't intimidating to your clients. Looking at them over a 15 inch screen is a lot different than using a small netbook. Also I would rather have them see a really small computer case, than a big laptop case with power cord as backup, etc. With the netbook, you really don't need a power cable, due to the 10 hour battery life. Some only have 2-3 hour battery life, so make sure to look for the longest batter life, that makes a huge difference.

For what it's worth and if you are planning on selling Med Supps, I would never consider taking a laptop on an appointment. I can promise that you will be a lot more successful if you leave your computer at home.

Just because technology allows one to do something doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best, most successful way of doing it.

I really like using a laptop for MA's, since they are processed lightening fast, commissions pay out very quickly (usually 7-10 days), and there are no errors. I realize Med Supps are a different animal, so I'm not questioning your claim there. However for MA's, the agents we work with who use electronic apps will never go back to paper.

Back