My Strategy on how to Sell Expensive Crap

Two additional items that are helping me sell HSA predominantly:

1. I've noticed copay plans are more expensive vs HSA plans this year, and the copay amounts a sometimes crazy high. Wanna copay? You're gonna pay for that doctor one way or another. Premiums savings vs the same out of pocket maximum as an HSA, plus the tax code, makes them an easy sell this year.

2. Plus, try to get RX copays on drugs not longer make sense, as they are also either crazy high, or after deductible. BUT, the copays bring down the total MOOP from the top down, Rx and Dr copays do not go towards a maybe lower deductible.

Copays go towards and bring down MOOP on copay plans. And they go towards deductible on HSA plans

We've all heard it before, self employed person making too much money for APTC, and whining about the $1000/mo premium. I bring up a word document on my Join.me screen and start typing out the following:

$12,000 – Total premium per year
+ $8600 – H.S.A contribution for couple aged 55 and above
= $20,600 – total amount pullled out of pocket
= $14,832 – True after tax cost at 28% federal tax bracket
- $8600 – Still have H.S.A money in account (I'm healthy!)
= $6232/yr = $519/mo (real after tax cost of insurance at 28%)

150k income X 2.5% = $3750 = Penalty for no insurance

$2482 / 12 = $206/mo extra cost vs penalty to protect your assets. Now, go extract your benefits out of the policy and get your free butt scope and other free prev care

net net = Free insurance and asset protection.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Sheesh, thanks, felt so alone the other day with this exact scenario. $100K + in first 6 months of new business, complaining because the failed PA community plan was so good, now exact scenario you describe above. Too expensive! We don't have the money. Sent HSA info, but they will need the simple breakdown, once the next stage of grief has passed over the $640/mo plan for family of 4 with lower deductible and copays. I asked in a neutral voice what happened to that plan...discontinued. No comment from me.

Back