NAIFA and what have they done?

Medicare bro

Super Genius
I really don't like giving money to an organization that says they will fight for my rights and then nothing get's accomplished. My question is what has this org done for agents, and can you name something specifically? I see a lot of orgs with a lot of bark and no bite, is this one of them? Should I join? Thanks y'all

I really don't like giving money to an organization that says they will fight for my rights and then nothing get's accomplished. My question is what has this org done for agents, and can you name something specifically? I see a lot of orgs with a lot of bark and no bite, is this one of them? Should I join? Thanks y'all
They were active on agent's behalf years ago. But after the became a group representing "financial advisors" instead of an insurance agent group they went downhill.

They were active on agent's behalf years ago. But after the became a group representing "financial advisors" instead of an insurance agent group they went downhill.
I guess that answers that. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall years ago. SAD

Join NABIP, they seem to at least try. Got this email today from them:

Dear AGENT,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to address a pressing issue that directly impacts our industry, our clients, and the communities we serve. As many of you are aware, some health plans have recently made the decision to discontinue compensation for Medicare prescription drug plans to health insurance agents. This decision is not only a threat to the livelihoods of our members but also to the well-being of the seniors and families who depend on our expertise.

At NABIP, we believe these decisions set a dangerous precedent. We have already reached out to WellCare/Centene’s senior leadership, urging them to engage in discussions about the far-reaching consequences of these actions. We are asking the tough questions and exploring every possible avenue to ensure that the interests of our seniors and their trusted agents are protected.

Our commitment to you is unwavering. We will not stand idly by while changes are made that put essential services at risk. The work you do as agents goes far beyond enrollment—it’s about providing critical support, ensuring affordability, resolving claims, and offering personalized guidance that helps our seniors navigate an increasingly complex Medicare system.

We are calling on the decision-makers behind these actions to join us at the table for a solution-driven dialogue. It is essential that we work together to find a path forward that ensures no senior or family is left behind.

In these challenging times, NABIP reaffirms its commitment to our Healthcare Bill of Rights, which underscores our broader mission to promote a healthcare system that prioritizes affordability, accessibility, quality, equity, and dignity for every individual.

Thank you for your continued support. Together, we will navigate these challenges and continue to advocate for the best interests of our members and the communities we serve.

Sincerely,

Jessica Brooks-Woods, CEO

Join NABIP, they seem to at least try. Got this email today from them:

Dear AGENT,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to address a pressing issue that directly impacts our industry, our clients, and the communities we serve. As many of you are aware, some health plans have recently made the decision to discontinue compensation for Medicare prescription drug plans to health insurance agents. This decision is not only a threat to the livelihoods of our members but also to the well-being of the seniors and families who depend on our expertise.

At NABIP, we believe these decisions set a dangerous precedent. We have already reached out to WellCare/Centene’s senior leadership, urging them to engage in discussions about the far-reaching consequences of these actions. We are asking the tough questions and exploring every possible avenue to ensure that the interests of our seniors and their trusted agents are protected.

Our commitment to you is unwavering. We will not stand idly by while changes are made that put essential services at risk. The work you do as agents goes far beyond enrollment—it’s about providing critical support, ensuring affordability, resolving claims, and offering personalized guidance that helps our seniors navigate an increasingly complex Medicare system.

We are calling on the decision-makers behind these actions to join us at the table for a solution-driven dialogue. It is essential that we work together to find a path forward that ensures no senior or family is left behind.

In these challenging times, NABIP reaffirms its commitment to our Healthcare Bill of Rights, which underscores our broader mission to promote a healthcare system that prioritizes affordability, accessibility, quality, equity, and dignity for every individual.

Thank you for your continued support. Together, we will navigate these challenges and continue to advocate for the best interests of our members and the communities we serve.

Sincerely,

Jessica Brooks-Woods, CEO
Yep I saw this and that is why I was asking.

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) recently approved plans that discontinue Medicare prescription drug compensation to agents for new business and renewals. The plans also would remove agents from being listed as an “agent of record” when assisting your clients with enrollment.

The National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors (NAIFA) recognizes the severity of this action and the impact it could have on Medicare agents and millions of beneficiaries. Please know that NAIFA is fully engaged in conversations with CMS.

Belonging to NAIFA Means Your Voice is Counted

More than ever, we need to amplify the voice of the Medicare agents to advocate for your business. As a member, our government relations team will provide you with the resources you need to educate lawmakers on this issue and on the role you play in serving consumers with informed and ethical advice.

Join Your Professional Advocacy Association for $1/day

For only $1 a day, you'll ensure your business and your clients are protected 365 days a year. Join the oldest and largest association in the industry before September 1st to receive this special rate.

Yes, I Want to Protect My Business

This topic has been recently covered in InsuranceNewsNet with quotes from member Mark Squires and Kevin Mayeux.

Below is the statement NAIFA issued to the media and other stakeholders from NAIFA's CEO, Kevin Mayeux:

NAIFA Offers Solutions to Protect Consumer Access to Informed Medicare Assistance

NAIFA is appalled by decisions that would have a chilling effect on Medicare beneficiaries’ access to personalized assistance by licensed professionals. NAIFA will work with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) to communicate the implications of approving these prescription plans that will curtail personal service and offer solutions to protect our most vulnerable citizens.

There is no greater resource than a licensed agent or broker for consumers that are considering their Medicare plan options and looking for specific drugs and services to be covered. Agents and brokers educate clients on how Medicare works both broadly and in conjunction with other coverage options and research physician networks and prescription formularies for the plans to ensure a suitable health and drug plan is recommended. The CMS approvals could result in services being reduced or eliminated, harming consumers who rely on agents and brokers for their expertise and guidance, especially as service needs arise after enrollment.

NAIFA will continue our conversations with CMS to offer solutions, and members will be urged to help educate lawmakers on the significant role agents play in helping to simplify the often-complicated decision-making process for Medicare beneficiaries while also addressing their individual concerns, making them feel valued and understood.

For well over a century, NAIFA members have helped individuals, families, and businesses reduce risks and protect assets; fund major expenses like health and prescription coverage, college, long-term care, and retirement; plan their estates; provide employee benefits and group insurance; and reach their financial goals. As the professional association for these dedicated people, NAIFA believes consumers should have unfettered access and freedom of choice in engaging competent, knowledgeable, and ethical agents. NAIFA opposes all inappropriate attempts or ill-advised proposals to create laws, regulations, rules, or policies that would effectively undermine, modify, intervene with, or otherwise, forcibly sever the nature or integrity of the agent/client relationship.

Back