Need HC.Gov scenario advice

Thanks to a divorce, the dad has one young child on his tax return and the ex has the other young child on her tax return. The dad is responsible to pay for the insurance for both children. The dad is subsidy eligible....but I have found no way to include the second child on his plan for coverage without him being a dependent on the tax return. The child does not even live with him 50%+ of the time. The subsidies are obviously much larger if he were a family of three....but it appears that the tax return dictates.

Assuming he would have to pay full price for the second child on a separate policy. Can't make him a dependent, but I can say he is being taken care of, but then it says I am adding a child not applying for coverage. I told him to see if the ex would let him claim the child on the return....else, negotiate a compromise.

Thanks

CAN not be done....for both to be on dad's plan he has to claim him as a dependent....or pay full for a kid only plan....had one today a married couple with one child who file separate returns could not be on two app's and two subsidy's.....

The child can be claimed by either parent if the parents can agree. The wife will likely agree unless they are still at war because subsidized premium is better than full premium any day of the week.

Back