Need Honest Advise in Regards to Becoming an Agent

I think this is kinda of a no-brainer. Tell your husband to pay a visit to a few of your local State Farms and see if you can get a few minutes with the owners.

All he needs to do is ask if it's realistic that we can make $500K as a SF owner and see the reaction.

This is what I'd do. Say I was looking to by any franchise, make it a Stone Cold Creamery since I'm addicted.

I'd have no problem asking for a few minutes of a current owner's time. Remember, they won't view your husband as a competitor since there's proximity rules for locations.

Thanks so much for all of your input!
And yes, that's why I always hate telling people what line of work he is in! I always get the raised eyebrows and then a nervous laugh! ;)
As someone mentioned, I think he is ready for a change ( and glad he isn't changing wives!!!) and I think he is looking at it as a new challenge. I'm willing to be poor for a few years, but only if we will be making more than we are now after those years!
Now, I am spending too much time here and I have to get to our daughter's dress rehearsal for her ballet performance tonight!
Good luck to all and wish me some!

Good luck! BTW, what part of SC are you from? You don't have to be too specific...just wondering if you're a neighbor :)

I want to apply for his old job. Where is he working at now. PM it to me and don't tell anyone else.

lol

Sounds like you believe this story about as much as me.

I had a client recently talk real big on the phone, needed a DI policy to cover his $240K annual income.

When I told him what we had to do to verify the income, I didn't hear from him for several months, then he talked to me like it was the first time we had discussed it, and his income was $60K annually.

Big talk is usually big talk, rarely is this not the case in my experience.

Sounds like you believe this story about as much as me.

I had a client recently talk real big on the phone, needed a DI policy to cover his $240K annual income.

When I told him what we had to do to verify the income, I didn't hear from him for several months, then he talked to me like it was the first time we had discussed it, and his income was $60K annually.

Big talk is usually big talk, rarely is this not the case in my experience.

Oh yeah, I've had this conversation LOTS of times. Everyone in Silicon Valley makes at least $200K a year! Okay, a lot do, but most don't. People see this is the threshold to being successful.

It doesn't stop with the little guys. Even Donald Trump gets in the act. Someone called him a millionaire, Donald sued because he wanted to be called a billionaire. Donald lost because simply put, the truth hurt. Not even sure he could verify he was a millionaire at the time.

Dan

Would somone explain to her the avg. commission per case for a SF agent.

I would say your husband would be better off if he is really going to into the insurance industry to work for a broker that has all the PC lines. Then that way maybe in 3 years you could be making $100,000.

How did you come up with the $500,000 figure working for SF? The agents that have 30 yrs in the biz might be at that point.

Oh yeah, I've had this conversation LOTS of times. Everyone in Silicon Valley makes at least $200K a year! Okay, a lot do, but most don't. People see this is the threshold to being successful.

It doesn't stop with the little guys. Even Donald Trump gets in the act. Someone called him a millionaire, Donald sued because he wanted to be called a billionaire. Donald lost because simply put, the truth hurt. Not even sure he could verify he was a millionaire at the time.

Dan

There are a lot of people on "Fantasy Island". That show was a little before my time, but I believe it was supposed to be for a weekend, not a lifelong pursuit.

You know some of y'all amaze me! Why would I make up his income? The only reason I threw that out there was for a point of reference because I have read some threads and people are bragging that they make 80-100 a year and think that's great. Please, give me a break, that is pitiful! You are an adult and you think you are successful making less than 100,000 a year? Not in my world! And I realize that money doesn't define success. But for me, I like having two homes that are paid for and I even want another one. I like to be able to take mom's weekends away when I feel like it. I like to not have to worry about how we are going to pay for anything!
And for Briko3, we are 3 hours from Greenville. How's that for not being too specific?! :)
Now I really have to go! This stupid forum is addicting!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ok, stop it! I am never going to get on the road!
ABC, the 500,000 was just pulled out of the air. It came from thinking of what he makes now and if we had to go through all the hassle of making a move, starting over, etc. That would be a number, if realistic, that I would make a change for, not a firm number that anyone mentioned to him! To me, someone that makes 500,000 a year is successful.

Last edited:
Just to be clear......He's not in the insurance business now. He is in sales in a totally different business and it has slowed down because of the downturn in the economy. He worked at a SF agency right after we were married for a couple years and made what I used to call "slave wages". He has always thought that SF agents were making a killing, because it seemed that way on the outside looking in. He has been to the Career Understanding thing and is preparing a business proposal right now. I have always been very supportive of him but seeing some of the things that have been posted here about SF, I am a little leary. You know the old saying "you keep the devil you know!"
Thanks for the input!

It will be hard enough making that kind of money somewhere else. Truthfully it will be very hard on him as well being married to a woman who states that "making less than $200,000 is not doing very well" in her view. That's a rough road for a man to walk. Could be some crashing and burning along the way. Try being happy with what you have first even if the market takes your income down a little. Some men, myself included, gave up much because they just wanted to be independent and leave the corporate world but I dont hear you or him saying any of that. Tread carefully.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You know some of y'all amaze me! Why would I make up his income? The only reason I threw that out there was for a point of reference because I have read some threads and people are bragging that they make 80-100 a year and think that's great. Please, give me a break, that is pitiful!

How much are you making? Not your husband- you. Or is it the "I am raising two children but if I were not I would be making 400,000" response. Be careful, your husband is going to meet som 25 year who doesnt care how much he is making and she will wrap her legs around him and wonder if he really needs to be making that kind of money to be happy or whether that was just something his wife wanted.

Last edited:
Back