Need some help with Medicare coverage

nfl72

Guru
1000 Post Club
I only sell FE and know very little about Medicare insurance. I am turning 65 in Oct and have been told that is the route I should go. I currently pay for my health coverage which sucks. $500 per month with lots of copays and deductibles. Where should I go to get information about Medicare coverage?

Is this something I can write on myself and get paid for doing it?

I only sell FE and know very little about Medicare insurance. I am turning 65 in Oct and have been told that is the route I should go. I currently pay for my health coverage which sucks. $500 per month with lots of copays and deductibles. Where should I go to get information about Medicare coverage?

Is this something I can write on myself and get paid for doing it?

It is possible for you to write it yourself. When it comes to Med Supps, you are looking for a company with a low price, but has been in the game a few years. If you want to give me a call sometime I can run a quote for you and send it to you.

I have found that there are just as many arguments for Med Supps as ther are for Med Adv. plans. I would like to hear Todd's opinion for when one is better than the other.
Regardless of which, I was told by both, IMO's and agents, you will get paid.

caveat, not an agent.

Is VA coverage something you should be considering as well as, or instead of, Medicare? (If so, Todd can give you some advice on that too.)

(Sorry about butting in, just vaguely remembering some kind of old military related posts and didn't want you to miss an option.)
LD

I have found that there are just as many arguments for Med Supps as ther are for Med Adv. plans. I would like to hear Todd's opinion for when one is better than the other.

MedSupp vs MA has been discussed, and discussed, and discussed, and ...... in threads here. Not an agent, so not absolutely sure of this, but I suspect op could not write his own MA plan if he is not AHIP certified.

If I was turning 65 I would honestly look at Lasso. Almost like the perfect hybrid product. You can go to any doctor, $0 premiums like MAPD, and you get a built-in Medical Savings Account.

Lasso Healthcare

Caveat, not an agent.

If i remember right on the state:
DIFS - Medicare

Three government resources:
https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10050-Medicare-and-You.pdf

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/02110-medicare-medigap-guide.pdf

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/12026-Understanding-Medicare-Advantage-Plans.pdf

Create a my social security account:
Create an Account | my Social Security | SSA

(Later after you have your Medicare number, you can also create a MyMedicareAccount)

Part D information:
The government plan finder site:
Find a Medicare plan

Another site I find useful:
Q1Medicare.com Your Source for Medicare Part D Plan Information

I find that there are more good arguments for Med Supps than advantage plans, but what I have also found out is that there are plenty of clients out there that only hear "zero premium" as well as a lot of agents who have trouble asking for money, so this is an easy sale for them.

I actually think that Med Supps are better in the long run, simply because there's a good chance you're going to get sick enough to not be able to go back to a Med Supp when you need it most. Sure, you're paying a premium, but you also don't have to worry about networks, companies changing on you year after year, etc.

So, If a client can TRULY afford a Med Supp, then that's probably where they need to be. Of course, there are so many that can afford one, but they swear they can't. Kind of makes you wonder what all these "poor" people did before MA plans. Funny how they could afford a Med Supp then but not now, huh?

If I was turning 65 I would honestly look at Lasso. Almost like the perfect hybrid product. You can go to any doctor, $0 premiums like MAPD, and you get a built-in Medical Savings Account.

Lasso Healthcare

(please don't think I am trying to pick a fight with you with this post. You have a lot of basic background knowledge that op does not.)

For the complete Medicare novice, like op, I would submit that it is very important to understand that an MSA plan is a Medicare Advantage plan.

It is also important to note that the MA trial right option does not apply to MSA plans.

That is NOT to say that someone should not take an MSA plan. It IS to say, that they should realize when taking an MSA plan that there is always a possibility that they may be unable to return to a Med Supp in the future if they wish to do so.

Another important issue to recognize with MSA plans is that although they are Medicare Advantage plans, they are just MA plans, not MAPD plans, which means you have to buy a Part D drug plan along with them. That means that the "real gain" towards medical expenses from an MSA deposit is the deposit amount less the annual amount of your Part D premium.

Back