Nervous for My First Cold Call. Tips?

moonlightandmargaritas said:
Certain situations and products.
Impossible? Why?
Prospecting tactics would depend upon my strategy (product mix, target client, etc.).

I said impossible due to not having any clients. Once a foundation of clients has been established I could address referrals. I would assume cold calling would be ideal in my situation.

I like the idea of cold calling from home.... Perhaps a new business venture I could start up for myself.

I haven't yet cold called for insurance however, I'm getting ready to start. I have however, cold called for a network marketing company I worked with. I had a script written down before I even sat down in front of the phone. I read it, without sounding like I was reading it if that made any sense. I put some personality into it, as if I was just speaking it off the top of my head. Seemed to work pretty well. I plan on doing the same for insurance.

I said impossible due to not having any clients. Once a foundation of clients has been established I could address referrals.
I think a little "mind opening" is required. What makes you think that clients are the only ones that can provide referrals?
I would assume cold calling would be ideal in my situation.
Cold calling is seldom "ideal" in just about any situation. A very low yielding activity - don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

I reviewed some materials for Gitomer... kind of felt the same way. Can't remember who said it on here but smile and dial. Commit to calling a certain "small" amount of time whether you have success or not. Get accustomed to dialing then dial more and the numbers will work for you. The more you call the better you will hone your craft... good luck!

1. You need a system, dont spend more then a few hours looking for it, it almost doesnt matter which one you have as long as you have one so you can measure results

2. Throw up, cold calling is scary until you realize your not actually destroying anyone's life with your call

3. Pick up the phone, dont talk yourself out of it at this point, dial, and realize that you just took the first step to helping someones family in their greatest time of need

Just got done chatting with my auto mechanic.

I'll spare the details of his business, but here's how he grew it from a $50 investment to a $15 million revenue-generating distribution business:

-20 cold knocks a day into health food stores, sourced by ripping out yellow pages in each city
-20 cold knocks a day over 10 years built a business with 12,000 active customers, of which 2 dozen telemarketers sold into weekly after he opened -- each and every one of them.

Cold calling doesn't work?

I think a little "mind opening" is required. What makes you think that clients are the only ones that can provide referrals?
Cold calling is seldom "ideal" in just about any situation. A very low yielding activity - don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Just got done chatting with my auto mechanic.

I'll spare the details of his business, but here's how he grew it from a $50 investment to a $15 million revenue-generating distribution business:

-20 cold knocks a day into health food stores, sourced by ripping out yellow pages in each city
-20 cold knocks a day over 10 years built a business with 12,000 active customers, of which 2 dozen telemarketers sold into weekly after he opened -- each and every one of them.

Cold calling doesn't work?
I must have overestimated you, I thought you were smarter than this.

Comparing an intangible like insurance coverage to an auto mechanic, health food stores, etc. is like comparing apples and oranges. There's no correlation, your anecdotal evidence is worthless. Try again?

I must have overestimated you, I thought you were smarter than this.

Comparing an intangible like insurance coverage to an auto mechanic, health food stores, etc. is like comparing apples and oranges. There's no correlation, your anecdotal evidence is worthless. Try again?

You know what would help, M&M?

Why don't you be specific and lay out where cold calling works well enough to use it as a primary source of lead generation, and where it doesn't?

That would help.

Here's what I've anecdotally found where cold calling works, through talking with successful producers in each industry:

1) Selling personal fitness training (completely intangible)
2) Selling poultry factory chemical cleansers (tangible in a sense but the benefits are intangible).
3) Selling web design services, SEO.
4) Selling uniform service solutions.
5) Selling product fulfillment services for health food stores.
6) Selling B2B VPD life insurance, personal health insurance.

Please, help me understand. And be specific. Not general.

Latest posts

Back