New and Looking for the Most Practical Info You Can Give!

wlebon

Just started out in the insurance sales business, i have plenty of sales experience but i would just like to know what you thought was really important to know when you were starting out, or better yet what you wished someone would have told you. Need all the advice i can get. Thanks

Yeah, go and read this forum, top to bottom, and when you get done with that...reread it again. After you have digested everything you can, and you don't ask any redundant questions, asked repeatedly ad nauseam contained herein, then ask us anything you like, as long as it is specific.

Don't buy anything but the essentials and leads, read your contracts before signing up with any agencies and understand what you are signing, and look to the successful positive postings on here, one's with value and encouragement while ignoring the ones about all the horrible lead companies. If you do this right, know your products well and apply proper sales training this doesn't have to be too difficult to find success if you have talent and dedication.

Oh...and 5 negative responses should follow this about how I'm either trying to recruit you or full of crap. 1. I'm not and 2. those are the people to not read too many of their postings I was speaking about earlier! Good luck

Leads, product knowledge and sales skills will make your career. Remove one from the equation and you will likely fail like the 90% of those who think differently.

1: The best salespeople in the world are useless without a potential customer/lead.

2: A lead is useless if you don't know what's best for them, and what carrier action (underwriting) will occur for what condition.

3: A lead is useless if you can't close a sale, roll overs will not make or sustain your career.

All the tools (dialers, websites, quoting, etc) in the world won't help you if you "send information" or let people "think it over" or "speak to their spouse" etc. Statistically you'll lose 80% to 100% of your potential business that way. (This confirmed by over 1500 agents polled at Norvax U events) And believe me , much of that 80% to 100% are still buying insurance, just not from you!
If sales skills were not a factor, everyone would either fail or be average or mediocre. So what makes the difference? The best sales people will tell you they know how to present, qualify and close sales. They service the customer!

I know most will disagree but sales skills would be the most important (and most lacking) of the three I listed. So much so that the most successful companies pour tens of thousands of dollars into sales training.

Unfortunately, insurance is where the sales training is disregarded, by many on this forum and otherwise, more so than most other industries I've seen lately. And quite possibly that's why the failure rate is so high.

Just started out in the insurance sales business, i have plenty of sales experience but i would just like to know what you thought was really important to know when you were starting out, or better yet what you wished someone would have told you. Need all the advice i can get. Thanks

The best sales people will tell you they know how to present, qualify and close sales. They service the customer!

This I will agree with although I don't really consider myself as a salesperson. I qualify out the wazoo before I commit my time to an appointment. I also don't give 'presentations' as in my qualifying I have already determined - to the best of my ability - what the prospect is looking to accomplish. Then I simply show them how to reach that point.

Learn assumptive closing and sell yourself. My clients can get the product from anyone... they can only get me from me. Cliche? Perhaps. Truth? You betcha.

I wish someone would have told me not to buy leads without being very knowledgeable in the products I sell, not to waste money building websites, not to put money on my credit card to finance leads and websites, that there are plenty of people on this forum and other places waiting to dip their hands into your pocket. I wish I would have started off by learning more than 1 way to prospect and there are many free, or next to free, ways to do it. I wish I knew that I must work 8 solid hours a day and that if you do you will be alright.

Back