I build lists from ReferenceUSA... Here are some instructions I wrote a while back...

USING REFERENCE USA

1. Go to your county Public Library and get a library card

2. Log onto your library's website and look for either online tools or e-resources. Each library is different, but MOST have something like this.

3. Look for an online resource called ReferenceUSA

4. Log into ReferenceUSA using your library card info

5. Once in go to US business'

6. When you open up the US business database you will see a search box with two tabs on top... one basic search, and one advanced...

7. Go to the advanced tab. You are starting with EVERY US business and you can filter down to a certain locale, # of employees, public vs private etc etc

8. View Results, select the records you want, or all of them and download your spreadsheet...

You have names, titles, credit rating, the number of employees how long in business etc so when you call on a business you can say. "Hey is Karen or Bob, in?" As opposed to "may I speak to the insurance decision maker" which makes your receptionist want to either hang up or flip the switch to the trap door under you in their lobby (and they will).

The other good thing about this is that you will find business' that are off the beaten path that someone else may not see looking through the yellows or walking the beat that every other sales schmo does.

I hope this helps! It's been invaluable to me.

Trout Kirch

President/CEO

Horizon Agency Systems

www.agency.builders

When I'm more stable, I'm going to try this out. I always see people mention this.

I got bills to pay lol which we all do.

I'm missing something. You are saying you have bills to pay, which somehow is supposed to explain why you can't go to the library and use a free resource that will help you get more business to pay your bills? Either I am missing something, or you are completely backwards.

Needing to pay your bills is exactly WHY you should be doing this.

This is exactly what gave me stability...
I'm missing something. You are saying you have bills to pay, which somehow is supposed to explain why you can't go to the library and use a free resource that will help you get more business to pay your bills? Either I am missing something, or you are completely backwards.

Needing to pay your bills is exactly WHY you should be doing this.

your right.

your right.
Its common for people new in sales, especially with intangibles like insurance to often say... I need to do this, before I do that... when the "this" actually is the very thing keeping them from "that"... and its the "that" that makes you the money. You are smart, you are driven, so you got this... the money will come. Thanks, @Markthebroker for correctly elaborating.

Hi -
We have developed a comparative rating platform for BOP that is live currently. We work with your carriers and your agency. So if you have 3 or 4 direct appointments, and they are on our system, your carrier credentials are logged into your platform. From there you complete the quote process for your carriers, and a quote is produced. From there you can bridge into the carrier website and verify your input. If you would like to know more, shoot me an email at [email protected]

If you are interested in learning more about us, here is a recent article about us from a Massachusetts industry publication Agency Checklist:
https://agencychecklists.com/2019/03/26/tarmika-innovating-from-the-agent-carrier-perspective-29132/

Chris

Back