New Interview with an Agent who Has Been Selling Longer Than Most of Us Have Been Alive!!

John Galt

Guru
100+ Post Club
Jawga
Here ya go folks....Interview with the resident forum member Rousemark himself...Make sure to turn the volume up....Louis is soft spoken :) enjoy:

Last edited by a moderator:
So rousemark since you said there was no direct mail until the 80s. I have some questions, thanks matt for the interview.

How do you feel about cold door knocking to build your business is it still doable at this time?

I know DM is the way to go but any tips or advice on what to carry in your bag as you canvass?

What do you say when you first knock on the door other than introducing yourself to get passed what you describe as people being uneasy?

How do you get referrals from people you already sold to?

Never heard of cancer insurance. How do you market that?

So rousemark since you said there was no direct mail until the 80s. I have some questions, thanks matt for the interview.

How do you feel about cold door knocking to build your business is it still doable at this time?

I know DM is the way to go but any tips or advice on what to carry in your bag as you canvass?

What do you say when you first knock on the door other than introducing yourself to get passed what you describe as people being uneasy?

How do you get referrals from people you already sold to?

Never heard of cancer insurance. How do you market that?

There was no direct mail of which I was aware until the 1980s. I still remmebr the first man I ever met that was working them.. A fellow that Rearden has met.. His name was George Samadoroff.. Great guy. He would come into town with a fist full of leads searching for where the people lived. No GPS in those days. He seemed to do quite well.

Canvassing will still work but it is a bit harder than in the past. And, it is not for everybody because you have a ton of face to face rejection. I don't know of any magic words that will get you into the door if people are fearful of letting strangers in. Sometimes you can make an appointment for another time. When you show up at the door for the appointment, you are no longer a stranger.

Your approach to canvasing is really the same as cold calling on the telephone, except you are face to face. I like to have something in my hand when I knock on the door. If I am using a cancer approach, I have a cancer prevention booklet. The approach will be, "Hi, I am talking with folks in the neighborhood about cancer and I would like to give you this free booklet on cancer prevention. "Have you ever know anyone who has had cancer? (never received a "no" answer to this question) That is not surprising since cancer strikes 2 out of every three families. The shocking thing is how expensive it is. There are many costs that not even the best of health insurance will cover. May I step in for about 6 minutes to share with you what I am talking about?"

For life or FE, I usually have one of the lead cards I have received in my hand. I introduce myself and say, "You may remember getting a card like this in the mail. I am the fellow that takes care of this area. May I step in to see what you are entitled to and qualify for?"

The main thing you are trying to do with the approach is you are trying to get a conversation started. Canvassing is the same as if you were cold calling on the phone. If you can't get in immediately, set an appointment for later.

As for referrals, you can ask for them easily by asking questions about the peole they know. If you are canvassing, you can simply ask the names of the people who live next door, across the street, ect. Then you can knock those doors and use the same approach you have been using or say, "Mrs. Smith, I was just doing some work with Mrs. Jones across the street. I have no idea if my services might benefit you and your family but you can decide for yourself by answering just a few simple questions.. That's fair enough, isn't it"

In 45 years, I have had two doors slammed in my face and a handful of rude responses. The others, while many were not interested have been pleasant. But, keep in mind you are probably going to get 10 "nos" for every "yes".

Is this more effective than buying leads?... No.. especially if you are working strictly FE. But if an agent truly works at it, they should be able to make an above average living. Canvassing is most effective if you are a generalist and have more than one tool in your kit.

Actually I remember Dale Powell the founder of Senior Life used to drop leads in towns around the southeast in the 1980's. He had a crew of about 10 and they'd stay in nasty hotels and hit a new town ever week.They ran the "$255" social security lead .

I'm pretty sure they had DM for Med Supps back in the day (1970's). That's how my mentor started, working for crooked World Life.:eek:

I'm pretty sure they had DM for Med Supps back in the day (1970's). That's how my mentor started, working for crooked World Life.:eek:

May have but I think is was early 80s when I first encountered it for FE.... I think George was with Associated Doctors.. Not sure about tht but it seems it Doctors in the name..

How Rousemark handles rejection when selling final expense.

tumblr_m3hqcaJJIB1qbg2ugo1_500.gif

There was no direct mail of which I was aware until the 1980s. I still remmebr the first man I ever met that was working them.. A fellow that Rearden has met.. His name was George Samadoroff.. Great guy. He would come into town with a fist full of leads searching for where the people lived. No GPS in those days. He seemed to do quite well.

Canvassing will still work but it is a bit harder than in the past. And, it is not for everybody because you have a ton of face to face rejection. I don't know of any magic words that will get you into the door if people are fearful of letting strangers in. Sometimes you can make an appointment for another time. When you show up at the door for the appointment, you are no longer a stranger.

Your approach to canvasing is really the same as cold calling on the telephone, except you are face to face. I like to have something in my hand when I knock on the door. If I am using a cancer approach, I have a cancer prevention booklet. The approach will be, "Hi, I am talking with folks in the neighborhood about cancer and I would like to give you this free booklet on cancer prevention. "Have you ever know anyone who has had cancer? (never received a "no" answer to this question) That is not surprising since cancer strikes 2 out of every three families. The shocking thing is how expensive it is. There are many costs that not even the best of health insurance will cover. May I step in for about 6 minutes to share with you what I am talking about?"

For life or FE, I usually have one of the lead cards I have received in my hand. I introduce myself and say, "You may remember getting a card like this in the mail. I am the fellow that takes care of this area. May I step in to see what you are entitled to and qualify for?"

The main thing you are trying to do with the approach is you are trying to get a conversation started. Canvassing is the same as if you were cold calling on the phone. If you can't get in immediately, set an appointment for later.

As for referrals, you can ask for them easily by asking questions about the peole they know. If you are canvassing, you can simply ask the names of the people who live next door, across the street, ect. Then you can knock those doors and use the same approach you have been using or say, "Mrs. Smith, I was just doing some work with Mrs. Jones across the street. I have no idea if my services might benefit you and your family but you can decide for yourself by answering just a few simple questions.. That's fair enough, isn't it"

In 45 years, I have had two doors slammed in my face and a handful of rude responses. The others, while many were not interested have been pleasant. But, keep in mind you are probably going to get 10 "nos" for every "yes".

Is this more effective than buying leads?... No.. especially if you are working strictly FE. But if an agent truly works at it, they should be able to make an above average living. Canvassing is most effective if you are a generalist and have more than one tool in your kit.

Thank you, rousemark.

Back