New to the Business - P+C Vs Health/Life & Startup Advice

Hi all,

I'm new to the insurance business and would like to get started. I finished college, moved to NYC, worked on wall st until the economy crashed. Moved to Chicago and started a business to take advantage of Obama tax-credits (home improvement). I would prefer to get into insurance and am pretty set on this.

I'm 26 and have run a few successful small businesses. I've also had 4 telemarketing jobs in my life (one of which I have now to make a little extra money part time) -- so I'm very comfortable on the phone. I like to think that I'm quite good at finding local prospects and selling to them, the marketing is the thing I am least afraid of.

My degree is in Finance and I took an insurance class in college (not that this qualifies me for anything, it's just pointing out a fact).

I talked to an Farmers agent today. The deal is that I work under him for a year and then I can go off and start my own agency. While this seems good, I always thought the whole idea is to build a book of business. I'd get 100% commission but the renewals are his. I'd like to work for myself. Am I out of bounds thinking this way or does it sound like I'd be best off "paying some dues" for a while?

I have a decent amount of money saved up, I could prob go ~6 months w/o income, but not much more.

My other question has to do with specializing in P+C vs Health/Life. Even though my initial thought was to go into P+C, I've found the HealthChoice One program and IHIAA which seem like they would make getting into health extremely easy. My gut instinct however is to like P+C better, but I'm not too well informed about the potential on either side to make a definite decision. Do the same sorts or resources exist for P+C or am I better off considering those after learning the Heath side of the business?

Any other advice or comments about my situation and desire is welcome.

I have already learned a ton from this forum and hope to contribute back when I become a pro like some of you guys in a few years.

Thanks in advance.

Others may disagree, but since we don't know how ObamaCare will affect us for sure, I wouldn't think about health insurance as a long-term career move right now.

Rick

Others may disagree, but since we don't know how ObamaCare will affect us for sure, I wouldn't think about health insurance as a long-term career move right now.

Rick

Thanks for the response Rick.

I now know of the ILIAA as well.

I think you might be right but I don't know for sure. Regardless, Life & Health seem to go hand-in-hand from what I have read -- but I may be wrong.

Thanks for the response Rick.

I now know of the ILIAA as well.

I think you might be right but I don't know for sure. Regardless, Life & Health seem to go hand-in-hand from what I have read -- but I may be wrong.

Until recently, I made 75% of my income from health insurance. I'm pretty much focused on seniors now and hope that my health renewals last a couple of years - but I'm not counting on it.

Life Insurance is more and more attractive. I may have to go back to work shortly!

Rick

Back