New York UnitedHealthcare Compass Bronze Plan - coverage outside NY

Sandy1234

My COBRA ends in September. United Healthcare Compass is the only insurance company on the New York Marketplace that includes all of our doctors. The only problem, besides how expensive it is, is that it only covers the NY area. So if we are visiting family outside of NY it will only cover a true emergency. Does anyone have experience on emergency visits outside of NY for United Healthcare? I spoke with a very honest United HealthCare agent and she said if my husband had chest pain and it was a heart attack they would cover it but if it just ended up just being gas or a pulled muscle they would not. They also would not cover a sprained ankle but sometimes you do not know it is just sprained until you get the X-ray. So this could be very tricky to understand if it is really an emergency until after you see the Doctor.

Thoughts? Anyone have this situation? Is there an annual medical travels insurance I could get?

My COBRA ends in September. United Healthcare Compass is the only insurance company on the New York Marketplace that includes all of our doctors. The only problem, besides how expensive it is, is that it only covers the NY area. So if we are visiting family outside of NY it will only cover a true emergency. Does anyone have experience on emergency visits outside of NY for United Healthcare? I spoke with a very honest United HealthCare agent and she said if my husband had chest pain and it was a heart attack they would cover it but if it just ended up just being gas or a pulled muscle they would not. They also would not cover a sprained ankle but sometimes you do not know it is just sprained until you get the X-ray. So this could be very tricky to understand if it is really an emergency until after you see the Doctor.

Thoughts? Anyone have this situation? Is there an annual medical travels insurance I could get?
I don't think I've ever had a chest pain because I needed to fart. :twitchy:

It typically falls under this definition

Life or limb threatening emergency means, for purposes of this regulation, any event that a prudent lay person would believe threatens his or her life or limb in such a manner that a need for immediate medical care is created to prevent death or serious impairment of health.

Life or limb threatening emergency Definition | Law Insider

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever had a chest pain because I needed to fart. :twitchy:

You might get surprised sometime.

caveat, not an agent.

(following bill comments are for gross bills, not final Medicare adjusted amounts)

For a significant chest pain,
I spent approx $15K for an emergency room visit,
Over $4k for a cardiologist and nuclear stress test and other tests,
Probably over $3K on PCP visits and other tests in his hospital system.

As near as I can see, end result was a prescription for Omeprazole and intermittent chest pain continues.

Back