Newb to Insurance. Need Advice.

Insurance Sales is hands down one of the most difficult industry to earn a living. From my personal experience, 9 out of 10 don't make it.

I am completely against someone with as much debt as you jumping into Insurance, especially as an independent agent. The very least, you need to find a local agency that pays an hourly wage and learn from their success.

Before jumping into insurance sales, are you even sure sales is for you? Before jumping into insurance sales, maybe you should jump into car sales first. Selling cars is much easier. And if you can't sell cars, hell you can forget about selling Life Insurance.

As a recently failed out grad student w/ a ton of student debt (150k), I've been recommended trying the insurance field.

Just wondering what degree you were pursuing to accumulate that much debt? My daughter is in PA school now and she won't owe that much.

Thanks, I meant eventually branch off and start my own agency.
You won’t find a “captive” agent like Allstate or State Farm willing to sell you the book of business.

However, there may be an independent agency that will. I would certainly offer this to a new guy and offer training and support. I would have partnered or teamed up with an agency when I was starting if I could go back. You will need to work on building your own referral partners though. Mortgage lenders and realtors are great for this.

How do you mean?

I've sold cars and insurance. Selling cars is way easier than selling insurance. And it's not even close. Selling cars is a piece of cake when comparing to selling insurance.

What I'm trying to say to OP is before he spends money getting licensed to sell insurance, maybe he should test the sales world to see if it is even for him. It may turn out, he may want nothing to do with sales. Getting his feet wet in car sales is much easier and cheaper than getting his feet wet in insurance sales.

People walk into a car dealership looking to buy.
I would agree its not an easy business...with that kind of student loan debt, looking for a solid salary type job might be a prudent thing.

It hurts me when I hear that, so many people have that type of student loan debt. Its ok if you can come out making 6 figures, but I have a client that one of their kids works at Kohls with over $100k student loan debt and a degree that isn't in demand at all.

Thank you all for the replies. I have an interview for Banker’s Life tomorrow, so I think that’s good? I was in medical school and I failed out - that’s how I received the tremendous debt.

Thank you all for the replies. I have an interview for Banker’s Life tomorrow, so I think that’s good? I was in medical school and I failed out - that’s how I received the tremendous debt.
Good luck to you! If that doesn't work out, there are about 2 dozen people here, myself included that could point you to a resource just to start working independently selling for multiple carriers building YOUR client base.

I hate this happened. Life insurance sales can be even harder than property and casualty. I would get with an agency that writes life insurance and auto/home/commercial. That way you can write the life auto and home for a household. Going on your own can certainly be a great way too if you have the finances to get by. After my first 6 months I picked up a part time gig because it was draining my families finances and we needed to supplement. It’s a grind. No easy way to win in this industry but can be done. Let me know if there’s anything I can do. I’m in N.C. and S.C.

Back