NEWB who has encountered 2 suspicious companies to work for. Need Help Getting Started

JJTB

okay, so looks like there are recruiting sites getting infiltrated : - )
i went to this hotspot meeting for tristate - immediately smelled MLM scam, wound up here in my search on them after getting suspicious. I was right. Now i got in contact with "The Blake Group" who's affiliated with "Senior Life", and it looks like they are kinda suspicious on this forum.

All i want to do is get started in this career with a legit company that isn't trying to scam me ! Is that too much to ask ?

also, im reading on glass door of agents paying for leads upwards of $700-$1000 - is this really a thing ??

Northwestern Mutual, New York Life, Mutual of Omaha direct, TransAmerica direct, Edward Jones, Guardian direct, or some of the local family-owned insurance agencies in your areas are good places to get started in this business. They will train you well in most cases. Your assigned office, the managing director (if applicable), and/or the team you work with could, however, determine the level of positive or negative experiences that you will have with each gig. Yes, many of these companies are captive. That is okay because you will learn the business, get some clients, and then if you decide to later you can go independent.

**The "direct" part means working directly for/with that company and not just selling their products through a broker dealer

Where do you expect to learn the business? What do you want to focus on?

Northwestern Mutual, New York Life, Mutual of Omaha direct, TransAmerica direct, Edward Jones, Guardian direct, or some of the local family-owned insurance agencies in your areas are good places to get started in this business. They will train you well in most cases. Your assigned office, the managing director (if applicable), and/or the team you work with could, however, determine the level of positive or negative experiences that you will have with each gig. Yes, many of these companies are captive. That is okay because you will learn the business, get some clients, and then if you decide to later you can go independent.

**The "direct" part means working directly for/with that company and not just selling their products through a broker dealer

thanks guys - yeah the part that ive been seeing that seems to take advantage is forking over almost $1000 for leads upfront, and then paying hundreds to go to seminars and buying training materials with a constant MLM style upsell - That's starting in the red for me - can't do it. I can understand working straight commission - but forking over all that money before one starts is a NO GO for me.

thanks guys - yeah the part that ive been seeing that seems to take advantage is forking over almost $1000 for leads upfront, and then paying hundreds to go to seminars and buying training materials with a constant MLM style upsell - That's starting in the red for me - can't do it. I can understand working straight commission - but forking over all that money before one starts is a NO GO for me.
Hope you didn't spend too much for your licensing exam material. Look for a position as a producer for an agency so you can LEARN the business. No money down, make it or break it. Get paid a salary until you know what you are doing

Hope you didn't spend too much for your licensing exam material. Look for a position as a producer for an agency so you can LEARN the business. No money down, make it or break it. Get paid a salary until you know what you are doing
haven't taken the exam yet - def want to - im playing it really close to the vest with some of these companies as they have me on the defense. Any suggestions for affordable options ?

okay, so looks like there are recruiting sites getting infiltrated : - )
i went to this hotspot meeting for tristate - immediately smelled MLM scam, wound up here in my search on them after getting suspicious. I was right. Now i got in contact with "The Blake Group" who's affiliated with "Senior Life", and it looks like they are kinda suspicious on this forum.

All i want to do is get started in this career with a legit company that isn't trying to scam me ! Is that too much to ask ?

We don't do free leads or anything like that but this would be good for you to read to get a handle on how the business works: Getting Started with FE Sales

Back