Newborn and own insurance plan

florida2001

Expert
hi, I had c section few days ago and have newborn that had to be in NICU for 4 days. I have florida blue option plan thru marketplace. pretty good plan just high premium $600, out of pocket 5K, deductible $1500.
I immediately after my daughter was born contacted marketplace to update an application and got for newborn different plan ( blue option 1505 gold) -deductible $0, premium 264$, out of pocket 5 K.
now explain to me, Im worry about upcoming bills. how the NICU will be billed?
was it smart to get her different plan instead of putting her under mine?

hi, I had c section few days ago and have newborn that had to be in NICU for 4 days. I have florida blue option plan thru marketplace. pretty good plan just high premium $600, out of pocket 5K, deductible $1500.
I immediately after my daughter was born contacted marketplace to update an application and got for newborn different plan ( blue option 1505 gold) -deductible $0, premium 264$, out of pocket 5 K.
What did your insurance agent say?

Yes, you can buy a separate plan for the baby, retroactive to date of birth.

The baby will have a separate policy # at FL Blue, so you will want to have NICU claims redirected to that new policy, and not yours.

Deductibles and Out of pocket limits are per person based on plan benefits and separate policies. If it just you two needing insurance, you didn't hurt yourself by buying a richer plan for newborn.

If you have 3 or 4 or more in the family needing insurance, then it might make sense to be on the same policy, as the out of pocket maximums are maxed out at 2 individuals per policy. Meaning, assuming both of you hit your OOP max, then the other family members would have free insurance.

Back