NYC P&C licensed what Next?

DaveFC

I am a tax preparer business owner in New York City. I just got my p&c license because I'm planning to expand my business. I am totally lost what's the best step for me since I am very New in p&c business with no experience. Thank you

I am a tax preparer business owner in New York City. I just got my p&c license because I'm planning to expand my business. I am totally lost what's the best step for me since I am very New in p&c business with no experience. Thank you

Either get appointed with a company (hard to do if you have no experience) or join a MGA/cluster/another one forgot name.

I have no experience at all. I don't even know what MGA/cluster means. But I am ready to learn. I have only tax clients of 250 individuals and 40 corp. Could you suggest NYC insurance companies I could contact? Thanks for your help.

I have no experience at all. I don't even know what MGA/cluster means. But I am ready to learn. I have only tax clients of 250 individuals and 40 corp. Could you suggest NYC insurance companies I could contact? Thanks for your help.

I recommend this one **Advantage Partners Network - Home**

I currently use them for companies that I can't get myself directly. it's 80/20 which means you keep 80 and they keep 20 percent. Also, you own your book of business. Other then that, you have to give them a good sales pitch because you have no experience. Only reason I like them because they are straight forward with you and you're not lock in. However, you cannot go after the companies that they give you for 3 years.

another link explaining but you have to look it up and do your research cause their are some bad ones out there.

**Pros and Cons of Joining an Insurance Cluster or Network**

and they don't charge you a big fee like some others that will charge crazy amount just to join. Also, no production as well I believe.

Maybe find a mentor because it's going to be tough.

Thank you so much! My corp clients have been oushig me into this and the fact I envision tax prep business would take a hitting in near future, so expanding into P & C would help my business stay afloat. Respect

Thank you so much! My corp clients have been pushing me into this and the fact I envision tax prep business would take a hit in near future, so expanding into P & C would help my business stay afloat. Respect

There is a long ramp up with training on P&C, especially commercial P&C. Personal lines, you are looking at 6 months to a year or two to really get a handle on it. Commercial lines, I would say 5 years of selling full time to really get fluent. That's what it took me.

Getting your license, is one of, if not the, easiest part. I would suggest some sort of mentorship or partnership, and don't expect to make much the first few years.

There is a long ramp up with training on P&C, especially commercial P&C. Personal lines, you are looking at 6 months to a year or two to really get a handle on it. Commercial lines, I would say 5 years of selling full time to really get fluent. That's what it took me.

Getting your license, is one of, if not the, easiest part. I would suggest some sort of mentorship or partnership, and don't expect to make much the first few years.

Thanks I have filled applications for the two earlier suggested [**Advantage Partners Network - Home** and **Pros and Cons of Joining an Insurance Cluster or Network**]
to me. Please, By mentorship or partnership, where are those? I am not looking at big returns now until 3-5 years down the line BUT to be well knowledgeable. I do appreciate.

Thanks I have filled applications for the two earlier suggested [**Advantage Partners Network - Home** and **Pros and Cons of Joining an Insurance Cluster or Network**]
to me. Please, By mentorship or partnership, where are those? I am not looking at big returns now until 3-5 years down the line BUT to be well knowledgeable. I do appreciate.

There is likely someone on here that can better advise the details of exactly what/how to do it, but I would suggest some sort of partnership with some sort of person/entity that has experience with personal lines, and especially commercial lines. Commercial lines especially can be quite complex, and it's unlikely you'll be to write anything of any level of complexity without help.

I've been writing commercial lines for 8 years full time and I still need help from others on certain accounts.

Back