Obamacare Rates Jump 51%

"If the people that rely on these are forced to eat 'cat food', then the programs are utter failures and should be discontinued immediately."

And replaced with what?

These ladies were stay at home wives, who trusted their husbands to look out for them. Things go sideways sometimes and somebody dies early, no insurance, pension stripped down or away and there you go.

Nice little old ladies who would buy the marked down produce, day old bread and yes, jack mackerel, which started out on the pet food isle. Our store manager decided to move it over with the tuna fish to help with dignity.

While I know when it really comes down to it, most here wouldn't want to short change anybody whose suffered misfortune like that. Working there for a lot of years I witness both abuse and thrifty use of script. Back in the old days you had to tear them out of the booklets and everybody KNEW you were on public assistance. The script looked like monopoly money.

The thing is I will tolerate a bit of abuse to the system, if the system provides for those people who are truly in need. I can't accept those who want to end a program because a few % abuse it. but hey everybody's mileage is different.

My experiences as a young man at a grocery store taught me a lot about how different so many people are. I can't see taking away programs that actually do help so many. Just saw people who needed help and appreciated the help to hate the programs. Big supporter of WIC too.

There you go folks, we've gone from discussing changing the social security system to somehow taking it away. It's impossible to have an intellectual conversation with issues like this because one side (sometimes it's the right and sometimes it's the left) moves to the extremes to make their point.

Some of us have done more than bitch. Unlike you, I've actually run for office and tried to make a difference.

I promised a year ago to never respond to you and this is a perfect example of why you're not worth my time. All you want to do it bitch and attack.

Rick

If you are opposed to the status quo you should leave the country, apparently.... I just want an America that would elect Ron Swanson for president.

"The other thing that is typical is the sad story about the person buying cat food. "

"It's impossible to have an intellectual conversation with issues like this because one side (sometimes it's the right and sometimes it's the left) moves to the extremes to make their point. "

Now do you include yourself as part of the second statement you've made when you look at the first? :)

You may not see your "dismissal" of my true story as being exactly what you're saying later...... ;)

Is your second statement a situation where the kettle calling the pot black?

It is hard to talk about social services and the need, when those people's situations are dismissed out of hand as "extreme" examples....

It just becomes speaking to someone who is denial and I don't mean Egypt. ;)

Just because you refuse to accept situations of true need exist, doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means you're willing to look the other way.

It just becomes speaking to someone who is denial and I don't mean Egypt. ;)

Just because you refuse to accept situations of true need exist, doesn't mean they don't exist. It just means you're willing to look the other way.

And there you go putting words in my mouth. I NEVER said people buying cat food to eat doesn't exist. I did however say it is the exception and not the norm. And as someone else pointed out, this country's war on poverty is a complete failure.

But back to the ONE topic I've tried to stay on, and that is social security. Allowing alternative investments for social security. Are you against giving the population a choice of investing a portion of that money in the same retirement vehicle that government employees have access to?

And there you go putting words in my mouth. I NEVER said people buying cat food to eat doesn't exist. I did however say it is the exception and not the norm. And as someone else pointed out, this country's war on poverty is a complete failure.

But back to the ONE topic I've tried to stay on, and that is social security. Allowing alternative investments for social security. Are you against giving the population a choice of investing a portion of that money in the same retirement vehicle that government employees have access to?

You should do exactly what I have and stop responding. I've tried in the past but not worth the trouble.

Rick

"Are you against giving the population a choice of investing a portion of that money in the same retirement vehicle that government employees have access to? "

Do you feel that you are an average American, with the knowledge you possess on insurance and investments?

What you or I can or could do with the choice you want is NOT the same as what the population as a whole could do. If they could, why would agents exist?

It's a matter of looking at a situation with eyes other than your own. I am 100% certain you could do very well and have done well as I have in planning and exercising good decisions towards retirement.

I am also 100% certain the general population would be no where near as successful as you or I would be.

Basically it's the difference between a defined benefit plan and a defined contribution plan. 401ks were never meant to become sole retirement plans. They were introduced to supplement defined benefit plans.

SS for all intent is a defined benefit plan. The people who contribute face no market risk, have no need to track or make investment choices. And if you really want to screw the government you simply live a long time and get your money back and then some as SS is basically an immediate annuity you can't out live.

While I get what you're saying that you could do better return wise given that money to invest as you see fit, do you think the rest of the population would be able to do the same?

What you're talking about is changing a program that honestly is designed to protect people from themselves.

I mean, has everyone you've met over the years in this business been wise investment oriented people? How many people have you ran across that when you leave, you decide to change your investment choices to match theirs?

Actually, I am paying you a compliment that you may not see, but I expect you are an exceptional person when it comes to investment knowledge. I think in this area, you are not the average American and I expect you to do pretty well in spite of the SS bite on your income. I just don't think the general public shares the same abilities.

Do you feel that you are an average American, with the knowledge you possess on insurance and investments?

What you or I can or could do with the choice you want is NOT the same as what the population as a whole could do. If they could, why would agents exist?

It's a matter of looking at a situation with eyes other than your own. I am 100% certain you could do very well and have done well as I have in planning and exercising good decisions towards retirement.

I am also 100% certain the general population would be no where near as successful as you or I would be.

Remember, I said given a "choice" to invest "some" of those dollars. I never said do away with social security. I also said give the people the same option government employees have. Let's use the TSP (Thrift Savings Plan). There are 5 funds and Lifecycle funds. Go educate yourself on the investment options. We could even limit it to just the G and F funds if you want to be conservative. They would still provide a better return than what many will get with social security.

And if you really want to screw the government you simply live a long time and get your money back and then some as SS is basically an immediate annuity you can't out live.

I'm guessing I won't get back everything I've paid in. Remember, as a self-employed person we get to pay 12.4% up to the limit.

While I get what you're saying that you could do better return wise given that money to invest as you see fit, do you think the rest of the population would be able to do the same?

Again, I said give people a "choice". Which means not everyone has to do it. I also suggested the TSP which has very limited investment options. Why are you so opposed to giving people a choice?

I don't have much to add here but only need 11 more posts for the 1,000 level, please excuse the interruption:embarrassed:

I don't have much to add here but only need 11 more posts for the 1,000 level, please excuse the interruption:embarrassed:

I only have two more to 4,500. Well, now just one more.

All those with 1,000 or more are now scrambling to delete all those posts about you in the 1,000 post club.

Back