Objection Handling

It's obvious that the op has his/her mind up up that the manager knows what he/she is doing and won't listen to anything else.

Why ask questions and ask for help if you won't listen to the answers?

From the responses here, it does appear that the problem lies with the op.

At any rate, how am i supposed to find a better manager anyway?

Anybody waiting for a "manager" to do it for them is gonna starve! You might well be smart to find another line of work.

When I started in this business 19 years ago (with no experience), I had a "manager", who on my fifth day in the business disappeared - literally. Since I had some mouths to feed, I decided I better figure it out on my own - fast!

I sought out the good producers, bought 'em a beer, picked their brains, figured it out, and became successful. In retrospect, I'm glad that it happened, it taught me to be self-sufficient in the business. It's like that old saying:

"If it's to be, it's up to me."

Usually when i do my presentation, the client will be nodding and agreeing with me till the end.

They're patiently waiting for you to finally finish and shut up so they would finally get a chance to say no. God forbid they ask a question and you keep going on about for another half an hour.

Then i ask a simple question "So, <name>, do you think this plan is a good idea based on your current needs?". They will agree with me.

Thank God, it looks like you're almost done!

I then say "In that case, lets check your eligibility first with a simple medical questionnaire".
This is the part where the 95% of the clients i see, stop. They pause. And the next reaction puzzles me.
"I'm not interested".

That's what they wanted to say from the moment you opened your big mouth. They didn't hear a word you said. They were just waiting for you to finally finish.

"Oh, why is that? After all, you just agreed that this is a good idea."

"I'm just not interested"

"Yes, but why exactly?"

"I'm...just not interested"

Sometimes they don't even say anything, they just keep shaking their head or look at the table and refuse to look at you.

They keep shaking their head > 'this guy just doesn't get it, does he?!!!'

They refuse to look at you > 'o please pack up and leave nicely and don't make me have to be mean to you'.

They agreed to meet with you, didn't they? They weren't some psychopaths who took pleasure in being tortured by salespeople, were they?

IF they agreed to meet with you, then YOUR ONE AND ONLY JOB IS TO FIND OUT WHY THEY AGREED TO MEET WITH YOU because THAT WAS THE ONLY THING THEY WERE INTERESTED in hearing about. Unless and until you find out WHY they agreed to meet with you by asking them different questions, you are just going to be torturing them because they aren't interested in anything else you have to say. If you can't think of any questions then just ask "Why did you agree to meet with me?" If they say "I just wanted to see what you could do for me", that's not good enough. You need to keep probing and asking what it was that made them decide to meet with you until you get a very accurate and concrete statement. If you get that statement, you have already closed. You just follow up with a very very short presentation and have them sign. If you don't get that statement, you will never close or maybe force a close with a very unhappy and remorseful buyer. Don't make presentations and never try to fight objections. Shut up and ask questions that will reveal why they decided to meet with you. JMO

Why did you pick sales?

How did you pick your current company?

What do you think you have to do, to be successful?

These questions are open-ended, they usually are not answered with a yes or no.

You have to develop a whole bunch of these for your situation, to ask your clients.
These types of questions will let them talk...not you.
Then solve their issues.

Also, search this forum for all your answers, there is so much information, your head will explode.

It's obvious that the op has his/her mind up up that the manager knows what he/she is doing and won't listen to anything else.

Why ask questions and ask for help if you won't listen to the answers?

From the responses here, it does appear that the problem lies with the op.

Sigh, please don't assume things. I'm not saying my manager know what he's doing. I am very much open to ideas.

Anybody waiting for a "manager" to do it for them is gonna starve! You might well be smart to find another line of work.

When I started in this business 19 years ago (with no experience), I had a "manager", who on my fifth day in the business disappeared - literally. Since I had some mouths to feed, I decided I better figure it out on my own - fast!

I sought out the good producers, bought 'em a beer, picked their brains, figured it out, and became successful. In retrospect, I'm glad that it happened, it taught me to be self-sufficient in the business. It's like that old saying:

"If it's to be, it's up to me."

Well the thing is, i have talked to good producers, all i've heard so far is "call as many people as possible, hope you find a rich guy and that you can close him".

Was that what you were told as well?

Shut up and ask questions that will reveal why they decided to meet with you. JMO

This was a very rude way of putting it across. I'm not sure what you are saying here...that at the very start, i should just ask why they agreed to meet with me? And what about objections over the phone?

Why did you pick sales?

How did you pick your current company?

What do you think you have to do, to be successful?

These questions are open-ended, they usually are not answered with a yes or no.

You have to develop a whole bunch of these for your situation, to ask your clients.
These types of questions will let them talk...not you.
Then solve their issues.

Also, search this forum for all your answers, there is so much information, your head will explode.

I try to use open ended questions as much as possible, but unfortunately most of it ends in the "Im just not interested" line ad infinitum. I also did a search for "objection handling" in this forum and found 5 threads, 1 of which is this one. Which thread are you referring to?

When you're running into objections, it is sometimes the result of not having qualified folks to talk to. Did you ever figure out how to prospect effectively?

When you're running into objections, it is sometimes the result of not having qualified folks to talk to. Did you ever figure out how to prospect effectively?

To be honest, no.

The way i was taught was simply to run it as a numbers game and hope i bump into a rich client.

The only thing i know how to do is make as many surveys as possible, coldcall as many people as possible and randomly talk to as many people as possible in the hopes it will pay off.

To be honest, no.

The way i was taught was simply to run it as a numbers game and hope i bump into a rich client.

The only thing i know how to do is make as many surveys as possible, coldcall as many people as possible and randomly talk to as many people as possible in the hopes it will pay off.

Then that's your problem. To simplify it quite a bit "Hi, would you like to buy some insurance? .... No? Thanks, goodbye [click]". In the amount of time you spend trying to twist someone's arm to buy a policy only to get nowhere, how many people could you talk to trying to find someone that is interested? If I were you I'd either find a good way to speak with people that are interested in talking about insurance on a favorable basis or find a new career.

"To simplify it quite a bit "Hi, would you like to buy some insurance? .... No? Thanks, goodbye [click]""

So you mean this is what i should be doing?

Latest posts

Back