Objections Overruled

For the uninitiated that's called copyright infringement, the following paragraph is clearly in the book.

All rights reserved worldwide. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical

Carrier pigeon cool?

Actually Al3 is very conversant on copyright law having been in the publishing business for many years. I woulkd defer to his views on this, but Rick may take umbrage even if it is in Rick's favor. BTW is wanna similar to dunno?

Can you back this up with some documentation? Your information is incorrect as far as I know and I've been dealing with copyright issues (first music, then book) for over 20 years, learned a lot so if the laws have changed, please let me see where to read up on it.

Is it ethically sound? Morally?

I'll also defer to Al if he speaks up, but I'm pretty sure I'm on solid footing with the 'like a book' perspective. I had way to many conversations with lawyers about this in previous lives.

Lets look at your example, music. I buy a cd (back when there was such a thing), I get tired of it, I can then sell it to someone else as long as I don't keep a copy. This has been tried in courts many times.

Look at a book. I buy a paperback book, read it on a trip, come home, give it to a friend to read. No problem. Donate it to goodwill for them to sell, no problem. Give it to the local library, no problem.

In fact, if you wonder if this is moral, I would simply say of course it is. Any other restrictions would be immoral from the copyright holders.

The 'like a book' usage policy is exactly how used book stores and used music stores work.

Then came the electronic age. People thought since it was electronic, then other rules could apply. Courts have not upheld this. As long as a copy isn't kept, I can sell my old version of Microsoft Office (if it wasn't used for an upgrade). I can in fact, loan my books, as long as a copy isn't retained or used during the loan. Problem is, people don't follow the rules, which is immoral and illegal.

Dan

It's covered under the "First-Sale Doctine of 1908" under the United States Code (17 USC 109) which was codified in 1976.

Rick is correct, once he has purchased a copy, the copyright of the author is transferred to the buyer of the copy and the buyer may freely distribute his copy(s). Copyright owners right to control the "change of ownership" of a particular copy ends once the ownership of that copy has passed to someone else, as long as the copy itself is not an infringed copy.

Nice long read here:

First-sale doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS - this thread sucks!

Last edited:
Actually Al3 is very conversant on copyright law having been in the publishing business for many years. I woulkd defer to his views on this, but Rick may take umbrage even if it is in Rick's favor. BTW is wanna similar to dunno?

Rick owns a copy of the book (in PDF format.) He can loan it out, give it away, or sell his copy to anyone he wishes.

He can't make multiple copies and loan, give, or sell them.

Under the so-called "fair use" provisions, Rick can even publish part of the book... but "fair use" is a very murky area of law and has basically been applied to using quotations of a work for review purposes or for inclusion in other works as a reference.

The big issue in copyright law now is Google's insistence that they can publish any part of a book without permission under the "fair use" provision. I've not kept up with the latest court rulings. One issue is that Google claimed the publishers have to opt OUT while publishers claim that they must opt IN. I'm not sure where the issue stands now.

Most small publishers like myself don't spend much time on the issue. This is more of a concern to the larger NY houses.

Al
My publishing website (rather dormant the past 2 years)

dealing with copyright issues (first music, then book)

Then two people can't sing the same song at the same time without being in violation.

I have bought, sold and donated used books and music CD's and even LP"s. Our library accepts donated books, DVDs & CD's and then sells them.

Are we not supposed to go to the library and check out music CDs and download them to out iPods?
Good thing I didn't do that a bunch of times.

Back