Old Client= New Business?

gradyinsurance

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Hey, everyone. I got a call at my office today from an "Agent Support Representitive" from United American:err:. They were calling me in reference to a case that my dad wrote in 1991. Anyway, it was what United American calls a HSXC (basically a Supplemental Hospital Benefit Policy, I think), on a man in a nearby town. He wants to update the coverage, and UA wants me to look into it.

I haven't called him yet, but I'm perplexed. I know that UA offers "substandard" health products, to say the least. However, they are the only health carrier I have at the time, and I could use a sale right now. What do you guys think I should do?

Dave

Are you about to be appointed with major medical carriers soon? If you are, I would wait till you appointments come in and call him then. I bet UA is not going to pay you full commish anyway.

they are the only health carrier I have at the time, and I could use a sale right now. What do you guys think I should do?

Dave

That is no reason to sell a product. Are you saying that since you need money you might as well sell him a crappy plan? Why do you need the sale so bad? That is not a good problem to have. :err:

That is no reason to sell a product. Are you saying that since you need money you might as well sell him a crappy plan? Why do you need the sale so bad? That is not a good problem to have. :err:

That is not what I meant. I could use another sale, (who couldn't, in today's economy) but I would NEVER sell a client anything but the best product to suit his or her needs. End of Story. My question was simply, since UA is the only health carrier I have, should I try and see if UA has a product that meets the needs of this client.

I rarely sell health insurance, and I am not familiar with UA's current product line, so I really can't say if they have a product to meet this man's need. Frankly, since I haven't spoken with him yet, I don't even know what his need is.

Anyway, I'll contact him, find out what he's looking, and find him the best possible product that I can get. If I can't get him a product that will fulfill his needs, I'll refer the case to someone who can. The insurance business affords me a good living, and I don't have to make any sales that would make me ethically uncomfortable.

Dave

Based on you sig line and now knowing the only gig u have related to health is UA... i would suggest u remove the "h" from L&H only..... why claim u are a L&H only(your words, not mine) when u only sell a supplement crap plan as your health product?

The reason for the "L&H Only" line is, those are the lines that I can do business in. I am contracting now with Assurant Health, as well as Golden Rule, so hopefully pretty soon I'll have some additional health products in my portfolio.

I used to offer World's health products, but their premiums are so uncompetitive in this market, it makes it pretty hard to sell their products.

Dave

Back